Find
Notify
Tools

Bottom metal units
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

Quick question: Who makes bottom metal these days? Sunny Hill and Williams, correct? I may have found a M70 for myself and would like to eventually convert it to 375 H&H. If I do, I'd like a 1 piece unit. If I use Williams it appears I'd have a 3+1 rifle. A Sunny Hill I guess would give 4+1. However, I am told there would be quite a bit of added expense to make it feed completely accurately going that route whereas leaving it as 3+1 would be a lot less costly concerning making it feed.

Can anyone comment on this, please?

Thanks.

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't speak to the feeding issue, but if you are going to build a custom rifle and want 4+1 I'd say spend the money and do it.

If it were me, and I wanted a "hi-cap" 375, I'd get a CZ 550; the advantage to a Model 70 in 375 is that it is a slim, trim, rifle with the standard floorplate. The Williams one- piece unit is nice, I have one on a pre-64 30-06.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks OR. At this point I'd rather spend money on other elements of the rifle and take it as a nice slim 3+1 configuration.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would opt for the drop box and more capacity otherwise I would just stay with the original bottom metal, it works just fine..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote