Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Pre-64 bolt shroud
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
The Pre-64 M70 I picked up had all the bolt parts disassembled by the gunsmith the previous owner was going to get the action nickel plated by. This rifle had sat for 15 years in the previous owners gunsafe before finally deciding to sell it.

Anyway, I noticed that when I went to put the bolt back together, the bolt shroud only screws in a short way back into the bolt (maybe half a turn). I cannot turn it in any further by hand.

Also is the cocking piece on the very back of the firing pin threaded on? If not, how do you pass the firing pin assembly through the centre of the bolt shroud (it has a flat machined into it, which corresponds to a ridge in the top right hand of the hole in the centre of the bolt shroud.

Any thoughts?

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strange. Sounds like some interference in the threads. Would probably benefit from lapping the two together. As for the flat, that is for the screw that supposedly keeps the bolt from flying into your eye if it separates. By the way, you can't slip the firing pin into the shroud with that screw in place.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Maybe this will help, worth a shot.

I just put a new firing pin spring on a post 64. I had the safety in the middle position and it would not thread back on all the way. I moved the safety to the fire position releasing the tension on the spring and I was able to thread it back on into the correct position. At points during the rethread I met some resistance but I was able to thread it back with just my hands. Then I put the bolt back into the rifle and cycled the bolt. Good as new.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 885 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did just experienced something similar, but I attributed it to the spring rubbing on the inside of the bolt.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote