Find
Notify
Tools

Heat treatment of pre-64
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pettson
posted
Does anyone know the supposed analysis of the steel in a mid-50's model 70 action?

I am thinking of making one into a squarebridge by some welding and milling, hence the heat treatment question.
Would this be a feasible thing to do to this action at all, or should I re-think the project a bit?

The finished rifle will be a .404 Jeffery.

Pettson

[ 11-22-2003, 16:18: Message edited by: Pettson ]

Posts: 62 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Let me put it this way. What would you rather have, an action with welding on the bridges or one made for the purpose with solid steel?

That M 70 is really good for what it was made for. Let it be.

Roger Rules book "The Riflemans Rifle" must have information on the alloy and heat treatment. Why not get the book and read about what you have?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would bet it's possible but am not sure what the loss rates to warping would be when the action is re-heat treated.. I have seen M70's cut in half and welded back together to create a short action and they survived and worked,, Contact a heat treat company BEFORE commencing the project.. Someone who regularly does firearms work will be better able to amswer your questions.

Posts: 49 | Location: central Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pettson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies so far.

Savage 99, there is no doubt that I'd rather have a solid steel square bridge Mauser. But, I'm on a very tight budget, and this is what I have to work with right now.

Perhaps I should add that I am not messing up a pristine, collectable rifle. This one had been tampered with already, and the barrel was probably beyond rescue. The stock was, well eer... actually it wasn't at all...
I couldn't afford a nice specimen to begin with anyway.

Thanks for the book tip. Never heard of that one before, I'll look for it.

Pettson

Posts: 62 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never could understand why the major makers didn't take Jack O'Conner's advice in his book on rifles, back 40 or more years ago, when scopes were becoming almost totally universal in use, and go to the square bridge model with the scope mounts integral, any way. Ruger went this way eventually, and there were some very sucessfull European models to take a cue from, such as the Brevex and others. Instead they went with a hodge-podge of cobbled up add-on misaligned junk. Aesthetically and mechanically, the integral scope rails cut and aligned on the same plane as the action and the barrel just makes better sense. Every time I go through his book, I am amazed at how prescient and right-on Old Jack was about rifles, and how they should work. Of course if they had of listen to Jack and Elmer, they wouldn'd have been able to sell as much cobbled up junk to us in the guise of scope mounts, and Mickey-Mouse bases. Walex

Posts: 253 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walex:
I never could understand why the major makers didn't take Jack O'Conner's advice in his book on rifles, back 40 or more years ago, when scopes were becoming almost totally universal in use, and go to the square bridge model with the scope mounts integral, any way. Ruger went this way eventually, and there were some very sucessfull European models to take a cue from, such as the Brevex and others. Instead they went with a hodge-podge of cobbled up add-on misaligned junk. Aesthetically and mechanically, the integral scope rails cut and aligned on the same plane as the action and the barrel just makes better sense. Every time I go through his book, I am amazed at how prescient and right-on Old Jack was about rifles, and how they should work. Of course if they had of listen to Jack and Elmer, they wouldn'd have been able to sell as much cobbled up junk to us in the guise of scope mounts, and Mickey-Mouse bases. Walex

Unfortunately, unless you have the ability to machine the bases correctly, you shouldn't do it at all. USRAC, and Remington, to name a couple, have continued to show all of us that they still don't know what they're doing when it comes to building a high quality rifle. I'd just soon have the ability to align the bases relative to one another and in a consisent plane, rather than wondering whether or not the factory knew what they were doing that day. If they didn't machine it correctly, or if it warped considerably during heat treat, you could loose your scope out of the deal.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote