New
Find
Notify
Tools

1944 Mauser safe?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just picked up a J.P. Sauer and Sohn M98 made in 1944. It's been "sporterized" and is in a Bishop stock. The barrel looks good and it headspaces OK. There are lots of toolmarks on the the exterior of the action. My plan is to take lots of fat off the stock, polish the action, turn the steps off the 8mm barrel and make an inexpensive whitetail rifle out of it. Are these late war mausers safe? Is it worth the trouble?

Posts: 25 | Location: michigan/texas | Registered: 02 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
JBelk posted a while back about this subject. I believe his feelings were that prewar production was better than war production.

Pesronally, with as many known "good" receivers that are out there, I wouldn't bother with it.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it has been shot since 1944, I think it will be safe to shoot for another 50 years. Every M98 is an individual, I've seen DWM 1909's that look like they were new, that had severe lug setback. Then I have seen GEW 98's that had been shot until there was zero rifling left in the bore that have zero lug setback. I have several WW2 production M98's, one is an orginal K-98 made in 1944, yes they didn't polish the exterior, but they didn't do a much better job on any WW2 production US weapon.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
1944 production rifles may be just fine to shoot and since this one has already been sportorized it no longer has colletor value. Generally speaking, the later the production during the war years, the worse the workmanship and sometimes the materials. As the war progressed, the weapons of the Axis powers were produced faster and short cuts in production methods and heat treatments became common. I once saw a 1945 Model 98 that looked horrible and might not have been safe, but it was being sold as a collectors item. It would be a good idea to have a gunsmith who is well versed in the Model 98 look at this rifle to be sure it is safe. Also, be careful with the polishing. Mauser heat treatments hardened only the first few thousandths of an inch of steel, so heavy polishing could remove this layer.

<eldeguello>
posted
Since it's a Sauer, and the headspace is OK, I'd be willing to risk shooting it!! [Big Grin]