Find
Notify
Tools

Green Mountain Barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted
Currently converting a Siamese Mauser to 450 Marlin. Through out my search for barrels I came across the GM Octagon barrels. Has anyone here had experience turning one the barrels down to make a 1/2 Octagon 1/2 round barrel? I imagine they aren't all that bad, but I wanted to hear it from the proverbial "Horses' Mouth".

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're excellent barrels. Known for high potential for BPCR and Long Range Blackpowder rifle competition.

If you want a half round/half octagon, I've got some 30 inch ones that would be excellent for what you propose, although heavy. I'd sell one for $225, shipped to you. As I recall they're about 1" at the muzzle, and will finish at 28 or 29 inches. I had them custom contoured from Montana rifleman blanks, and have built several very competitive BPCR rifles with them. They're excellent shooters. The best thing is they were sanded to about 250 grit, and then bead blasted. They take very little work to finish.

dave

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Dave I appreciate the offer and if I go that route I certainly will entertain your offer. Though currently I am probably going to with a #4 contour to keep the weight down. Although I haven't made any hard choices.

Adam

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be aware that on the Green Mountain Barrels, the #4 barrel is a #4 Winchester High Wall Profile, 1 1/8" across the flats or so. Very heavy barrel. The barrels I have are a similar profile, I just checked and one weighted 7 lbs 5 oz.

Green Mountain doesn't make a lighter barrel in .45 cal, their intended use is heavy long range blackpowder cartrdige rifles in .45-70, .45-90, etc.

To get a lighter profile, you have to order one from McGowen or similar that will make a custom octagon profile.

dave

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave, I was aware of the contour differences, but for those who aren't it could be a "heavy" pitfall Smiler

#4 is the lightest contour most mfg's will make a .458" barrel

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Specifically, the GM #4 Winchester barrels are 1-1/8" at the breech and 1.08" or so at the muzzle.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote