Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 30 (Stevens Favorite) conversion
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I really like the old Stevens Favorites. They are neat little rifles. I have restored a few origionals but they are a lot of work.

Savage has the model 30 Favorite out in a take down like the origional, which I really like. The problem is that the new Favorites use pins instead of screw in the action. Personally I think they look terrible (at least Savage filled in that hollow cast hammer they had for the first little while). Is there a feasable way to convert the pins to screws? Has anyone done this?

I also think that the factory wood needs to be trimmed down a bunch for a better wood to metal fit. I think these could be great little rifles with a little work.

Any suggestions or opinions?

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I cant believe nobody has any ideas. Any suggestions are appreciated.

William Berger

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at them too....

And decided for me to be happy, the pins would have to be replaced, the sides of the receiver would have to be surface ground parallel, and definately restocked.... Unsure of how they shoot, but the finish on the barrel looks pretty crappy too.

With that said, if I could find one for a $100, I'd be all over it...and it would be scattered all over the shop in short notice.

But the first thing I would do is compare the "new" stuff to the "old" stuff. I'm curious how many, if any, parts might be interchangeable.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I have a very good suggestion, now I grew up on the reservation and this is where I have seen this idea used the most so it is kind of a traditional type thing. Are you ready it's duct tape it works wonders on everything you might know it as one hundred mile an hour tape.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I will concede that 100mph tape holds the Army together, but it WILL NOT hold my guns together under any circumstances!!!!

William Berger

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Black electrical tape works fine.

[image]http://billmcmichen.home.mindspring.com/favorite.jpg[/image]

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I've got an idea, why not take the pin's and slot the ends so they look like screw heads? If they are not long enough get some longer ones and contour the ends in what ever style desired. Seems like that would save a lot of work and get the same visual effects in the end.

Steve E.........

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote