Find
Notify
Tools

Long barreled Czech M98
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
I ran across a M98 with a long barrel (29"?) the other day. It is definately not a "Persian" as I have a "Persian" take off barrel and the sights are different.

The bore looks pretty good and the overall condition of the barreled action is very good albeit the bluing is about gone.

I was going to purchase a "Persian" barreled action from FAC or SAMCO for $179 plus s/h and of course $20 for FFL @ the local gun shop. I can get this one for $125.

I am interested in the action AND the long barrel for a rechamber job to 8mm-06 A.I. (my second) I will cut the barrel @ the last step which will leave just shy of 24" and it can be turned down leaving a great deal more "meat" on the barrel than a standard 23 1/2" Mauser barrel.

On the "Milsurp" page someone said it was "probably" a M1922 Czech and was very similar to the "Persian"

The only marks are on the receiver ring.

C*************
Z********
BRNO

Can anyone give a positive ID for this action?

I was under the impression that the "Persians" and "Turks" were the only long barrelled (Late) M98s. A "Turk" would not serve my purposes as they are large ring/small thread.

I am only interested in this action if it is Large ring/large thread.

If it is indeed a M1922 Czech, is that a "high quality' action as far as metalurgy?

The metal work seems to be high quality as far as machining and the bolt is very "slick" and smooth.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but going by the markings you described that would be a Czech 98. If memory serves me correctly, the Persians and Czechs are the same action just different manufacture. Persians, Turks, and Czechs will all work just fine for your project.

Posts: 144 | Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
That would be the 98/22 also called the M1922 or vz22 by some. 98/22 is the most common name I hear it refered to.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
That would be the 98/22 also called the M1922 or vz22 by some. 98/22 is the most common name I hear it refered to.

So it is a large ring/large thread action such as the "Persian"?

And, hopefully of similar quality as the "Persian"?

I am going to return to the shop with my "wipe out" and cleaning rod so I can have a better look @ the bore. If the bore is good (it looks a little "dusty" now) and it is indeed a "large/large" action I am going to get it. It is a complete rifle although the stock has been repaired. As I said, the over all condition of the barreled action is very good, the blueing is worn, but it is smooth and no pitting. I am only interested in the barrel and action.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Yes the 98/22 will have large ring actions/threads. The first production of CZ way back in the early 20's. Some of these were surplused to Turkey when the VZ24 was accepted and thus the Turk conection. Originally the Czechs put together some Gew 98 rifles using German parts as well. Either should serve well as a custom base if inspected carefully.

befus

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be very interested in your impression of the performance of the 8-06 AI.

I just bought a Persian, which hasn't arrived, and, if it is accurate, I thought I might shorten it a bit, and do what you've done.

How has this worked out for you?

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by denton:
I'd be very interested in your impression of the performance of the 8-06 AI.

I just bought a Persian, which hasn't arrived, and, if it is accurate, I thought I might shorten it a bit, and do what you've done.

How has this worked out for you?

In real world performance, the 8mm-06 A.I. will equal the 300 Win Mag for all practical purposes.

Loaded to the 60k pressure range @ an O.A.L. of 3.34" it will easily attain 2960-3000fps with an 8mm 180gr Nosler BT and 2800-2850fps with the 8mm 200gr Nosler Partition. These results were attained in a 23 1/2" K98 barrel. It can be pushed a little higher, but the performance levels I have quoted have given good case life (12-15 reloads until primer pockets start loosening.) Make sure your "smith" cuts the chamber properly to allow a "crush fit" with "standard" case shoulders, and make sure you shim your resizing die about .040" so you don't "bump back" the shoulder to the 40 degree dimension. With the "crush fit" feature fireforming will be "falling off a log" simple and you will still get good accuracy with your fireforming loads. Rolling the loaded cases in case lube will help eliminate case stretch when firforming, allowing the brass to flow back insted of stretching. The cases will come out slightly shorter, and it will be quite some time before trimming will be neccesary. Clean the brass and chamber after fireforming.

The 8mm 180gr BT is awesome on deer when pushed to 2960fps. Deer shot cleanly through the lungs with this load combo have dropped in their tracks with walnut sized pieces of lungs laying on the ground beyond. This has occurred @ 60yd quartering away and 240yd broadside hits.

If you "turn" the steps out, take care to leave as much "meat" on the barrel as possible. That is why I am interested in the "Persian" or 98/22 barrels. Turning the barrel too thin can lead to "walking" as the barrel heats up. The "Persian" barrel I have is earmarked for an 8x68S that I am wanting to do on a J P Saur "43" action that was my previous 8mm-06 A.I. I got carried away on the bottom side of the receiver rails and it is too wide now for the .473 case head.

Lengthen the magazine by filing the rear wall as thin as possible. That will gain about .060" and then another .010-.015" or so can be removed from the front as well. You should be able to get 3.380-3.385" inside Magazine length, perhaps more. You may have to take a touch off of the bolt stop to allow the bolt enough rearward travel to pick up the cartridges from the magazine.

The 8mm-06 A.I. is about the higest level of performance you can get out of a M98 (8mm) barreled action without extensive modification. Other than the rechamber job, everything can be done in the home workshop with hand tools.