New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is anyone willing to express an opinion as to whether this action is a genuine FN or just an FN clone?

The trigger and safety are both from Recknagel, but I'm not sure if FN ever made a hinged floor plate with the kind of release pictured.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
The root of the bolt handle appears to have the marking that FN used, so I would say that it is an FN.

I don't think the bottom metal is FN.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an FN action from about 1966, the "supreme," I think... sako type trigger with side safety. It has a hinged floorplate with the exact release shown in the pictures. I would conclude yours is authentic.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee The front receiver ring has a flaming bomb on it. So does the chamber. Either that or you have bugs on your lens. lol

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Pull the action from the stock and show the underside of the front ring and recoil lug.

The Handle appears to be FN marked and the Bottom metal is the same as on my "supreme".

I suspect that the Flaming bomb is actually a German Federal Eagle and that the scope bases were added in Germany. It was likely barreled there as well.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That action looks nothing like the two commercial FN actions I have owned but I don't know that much about other FNs.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Were the commercial actions marketed by Heym made by Heym or another source? I wonder if it might be a Heym action?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Were the commercial actions marketed by Heym made by Heym or another source? I wonder if it might be a Heym action?

I had an F.W. Heym acting and it was not marked with anything other than the proof marks and serial number

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:

The intermediate Zastava action I showed you the other day was marketed as a Heym. Like many, I believe they sourced whatever actions were available at the time.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:

The intermediate Zastava action I showed you the other day was marketed as a Heym. Like many, I believe they sourced whatever actions were available at the time.

I figured that was probably the case, but was unsure.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the receiver, but the bolt & guard look like FN to me.

Odds are that the receiver may be as well.

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FN for sure, the bolt is proofed FN, the triggerguard release is pure FN, and the serial font matches some FN's I have seen or owned. I don't have a clue about the bolt shroud though. I never saw one like that on anything.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is an FN that has been highly customized and they apparently did a quality job of it. Its a well done, well used custom rifle, I would be proud to own it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
FN for sure, the bolt is proofed FN, the triggerguard release is pure FN, and the serial font matches some FN's I have seen or owned. I don't have a clue about the bolt shroud though. I never saw one like that on anything.

The bolt shroud and safety are Recknagel, as is the trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle seems to be made under the Brenneke label. They used FN actions.
The bolt shroud / safety is made by Prechtl.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bottom metal looks to be what is sometimes called FN Supreme. Most Browning Safari rifles in the '60s used this bottom metal made of aluminum.
It looks to be an FN to me.

Posts: 116 | Location: kamiah idaho | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:

The bolt shroud and safety are Recknagel, as is the trigger.

Do you own it or not? If so, simply posting a pic of the underside of the receiver will settle who made the receiver.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you own it or not? If so, simply posting a pic of the underside of the receiver will settle who made the receiver.

I don't own it, but 9 days from now I might, depending on haw an auction turns out.