New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you weigh a rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A powder scale doesn't go up to 9.5 lb, my trigger pull gauge only goes up to 8 lb., and my bathroom scale isn't much use for telling the difference between 9.5 and 10.

I am guessing the answer is to buy a fishing scale or take the gun to the post office. I don't like either solution, for different reasons.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
I weigh 'em on the grocery store's produce scales and I've seen others doing the same.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Depending on how precise a measurement you want and how good your bathroom scale is, you can weigh yourself holding the rifle and then weigh yourself without it. Subtract the second measurement from your first, and the delta is your rifle weight.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I use a digital fish scale I bought at walmart for 30.00. To bad I dont fish.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How well do you know your local veterinarian?

They have very accurate scales that weigh 10'ths of pounds. Just take it with and place it on their scale.

I happen to be married to my vet so I can weight my rifles any time. [Big Grin]

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Use your search engine to go to "Fern's Nutrition". When there, go to "Home", then to "Scales". They sell Salter brand electronic scales that are perfect for gun weighing.

I bought a model that weighs up to 13-1/2 lbs in hundredths of an oz, in lbs. and ounces, in grams, or in kilgorams and grams, your option. Scale is 9-volt battery powered.

Mine has been used the last three years for weighing rifles at local matches, and still is in calibration (compared against the official "dead" weight used in the 1980 Commonwealth Games rifle matches). Haven't had to replace the battery yet, so ampere draw must be very low.

Scale cost about $50 at purchase date if I recall correctly.

AC

[ 05-31-2003, 00:15: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jack,

If I tried your method here in New Jersey, I bet the weight will be broadcast on CNN every 15 minutes. [Big Grin] How much do you think it will cost to post bail?

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A BR gunsmith will most likely have a scale handy. Even a non-BR gunsmith might have a scale suitable to weigh in that range. If you know of anyone working in a lab environment they may be able to help you out.

Just a few thoughts.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife has a 350 pound balance beam scale made by Detecto.

When I measure semi auto pistol spring assemblies I use ammo cans filled with ammo as weights. I Then weight them on her scale.  -

I also like to wieght rifles with and without the scope.

[ 05-31-2003, 01:41: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBelk:
I weigh 'em on the grocery store's produce scales and I've seen others doing the same.

Jack, don't you cause those poor people enough grief as it is, complaining that dog food makes lousy sandwiches? [Big Grin]

Best,
Joe

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
nextjoe---

When I told the lady manager the panty hose didn't fit I thought I was going to have to call and ambulance.

Some folks don't see much funny about the world......I see little that isn't.

Or can be made to be. [Big Grin]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
postal scale...

41 bucks, delivered...
www.ebay.com

jeffe

Posts: 39557 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A baby scale from Walmart. Weighs to 25 lbs and cost around $20.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know rural MT isn't the rest of the USA but...... the few times I've ever wanted to weigh one I just took it to the local Post Office.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention the post office as a place to weigh rifles. While waiting in a shop tooday for the NICS check to go through I noticed among all the notices from the BATF a notice that it's a Federal Offense to even bring a firearm onto Post Office Property.

Wonder how you actually mail one?

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do mine a little differently. Although may B not a quick as other ways.
I weigh the stock and then the bbl action on my trigger pull scales. Then ad the 2 weights.
Like I said may B not the quickest way.

Posts: 160 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simply got a kitchen scale - normally used to weigh ingredients for cooking, I suppose. Works a treat up to about 5-6 kgs (11-13 lbs).

Who knows, your wife may already have one of these, and maybe you can sneak into the kitchen and borrow it some dark and lonely night when "She Who Must Be Obeyed" is out [Wink]
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote