New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pillar Bedding
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a couple of questions concerning pillar bedding .

A set of pillars are either radius or flat depending on the action . Once one determines the height the pillars need to be at for stock clearance purposes , then they are cut off on the bottom side of the pillar . Am I correct so far ?. I read about wrapping the barrel with 5 layers pipe tape for proper barrel channel clearance . I also know to put release on ALL the action and it was suggested to use a single piece of wax paper where the action actually sets into the bedding epoxy .

My question is as follows .
An example is an older Remington Adl 700
which has a recess on the bottom of the stock for the magazine floor plate along with the action screws on each end of the piece of metal which includes the trigger guard and screw .

Do you drill a 5/8" hole " ALL " the way through the stock or can one stop say 1/4" short of punching through that recess ?. Then set the pillars in quick set epoxy and mount the action until dry ?.

If I drill a 5/8" hole all the way through , it will show on the bottom side of the stock , as the rounded metal tangs where the action screws go through aren't large enough to cover that Dia. of hole .

If I'm to understand correctly , the point of pillar bedding is to contact metal too metal where the action screws pass through correct ?.

Will it really hurt anything if I just stop short and use epoxy under the pillar ?.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Here's a link where you can find the best dissertation on pillar bedding I've ever seen. I know Charley Robertson and his methods are terrific. Click on the "Downloads" section; it should answer all your questions.

Score High

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to Richard Fanklin's method, although it's not entirely appropriate for the Mausers I like.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also...

I'm interested in your source on "wax paper"?

We always need a new slow-moving target on AR.

LOL.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all .

It was either Saran wrap or wax paper that was suggested ( I read that in a gun smithing book ) to use under the action it's self along with release on the metal . This was for the bedding of the action not for the pillar bedding it's self . Sorry if I gave that impression .

Is it wrong to use any type of those two substrates for protecting the metal along with the release on the metal it's self ?. I also understand the lug needs wrapping all the way around it's self when bedding .

I'll investigate the links that you've provided me with .Thanks Again .

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Maybe this could be of some use to you?
http://www.masterclassstocks.com/pillarbedding.html

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I would really like to see is a couple of close up photos of a wood stock a 700 Remington would be nice ?. Pillar bedded along with the under side of the stock but will view what ever some one is willing to post .
I just need to see what the finished underside of the stock on a 700 looks like that's been done ?

As I'm NO Gun Smith !. I don't really want to ruin this stock as it's a 50's vintage with Nice Grain and color . I've done military stuff and so far all has been well but not any on nicer stocks .
This one is for myself as I don't intend to pursue this as a career .

What is a neighborhood or ball park cost for having a stock bedded so as to float the barrel ?
I was also considering having a Gun Smith do it as I might like to have this .222 re barreled and chambered for 22-250 . I haven't committed to it as yet .
It's a RH and I'm LH'd , but it's more than likely a Mid 1950's Remington Model 722 .

It looked like it needed a good home so I'm trying , it's been stored in a case for 35-38 years . All is clean and looks OK except for the back strap behind the bolt ?. Looks like someone Peened it a couple of times with a ball peen hammer !!. I was thinking of filing the metal then polishing it and just applying oxpho Blue to that area only . See any problems with that ?

Bolt is perfect it shoots pretty well but I'm sure could do much better with a bedding job .

Again thanks to all of you who have contributed and I have looked at all the links .

Score High is pretty impressive as far as their web site and extremely informative .