New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conetrol
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It seems as though Talley Rings and Bases are recommended quite a bit on this site.

Anyone recommend Conetrol?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Conetrol rings with their Daptar bases on a 6.5 Grendel based on a CZ 527. I love them. I don't know about heavy recoiling rifles but I've had no trouble with mine.

Bob Mehaffey

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend Conetrol. I bought them for my Colt\Sauer 25-06 with Luepold 4-14 VariX III scope. I chose the custom 2 pc. bases in the white, melted down the sharp edges a little and re-finished them myself in matte to match the rings and scope. I've got a classy rifle and I wanted sleek rings and mounts for it. Conetrol are pretty pricey and probably not worth it for a clunky truck gun.

My opinion...the company makes a fine product and I love getting the NRA 1% deducted off my bill and their promotion of same. But their order processing is not what I would call 21st century standards. I had lots of questions about their multiple brochures and website. However, I got first class info when I gave them a call. The goods that were delivered were exactly what I ordered and for the correct price. I found it funny that they include a special message in the paperwork and instructions that you better retain every bit of it as they don't keep sales records on file for future reference. The envelopes were hand lettered and some brochures had hand lettered questions and tips penciled in the margins. The best I can explain it is old-fashioned personal service. Although I have never received anything less when dealing with businesses in Texas. An admirable trait all should aspire to.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is obvious when looking at they literature and at the rings themselves (the cut showing the line up for the cap to the ring halves for instance) that it is done by hand. But that is the only way to get them to look the way they do. I have not got them on any rifle but just installed some on my mom's 06, which is a totally undeserving rifle IMO. I plan on using them on my 270 Apex when I get money to buy a scope for it.

beautiful.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like them. Too fussey to handle and I don't like the way they look due to the splits in the rings. Gentry rings are jam up in my book. YOu get smooth lines on the rings, double ring studs in the bases for strength, windage adjustment in fron tand read bases, and the rings and bases are very light and strong. COnetrol is too complicated for me. I have a couple of sets in the hsop, but I don't like them so they sit in a box. I like the Talleys as well, but will not use them where I am saving weight.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I've got sets on a M70 and a 33/40. I like them but they are tricky to install and can scratch the scope, particularly a matte finish scope. The one piece wrap arounds like the Gentry look good, should work well too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SK rings are also projectionless and easier to handle and install due to their one piece wrap around ring. I have never had Conetrol or SK rings slip. Smiler

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've used Conetrol on many guns and have nothing but terrific things to say about them. Their service is a little different than we are used to. But whenever I have called George Miller answered the phone himself and was extremely helpful making sure I got exactly what I wanted.
I've used them on everything from .22LR to a couple .375 H&H's and have never had one slip. They've even withstood a really heavy scope on a really seriously recoiling .340 Wby. without a hitch.
I even do the "Cardinal Sin" of carrying my rifle by the scope using them. On several safaris and on an almost daily basis in my guiding business in CA.
After you get over the price and the little extra hassle to install them you'll be looking forward to your next set.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have them on my using rifles and love them.. after 3 or 4 installations they aren't that bad but the 1st few ones will drive you to drink..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote