Find
Notify
Tools

What do I have?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted
I tried this under Military guns and collectables and they said to come back here. So....

I have a mauser action that has all matching numbers luckily. It has been surface ground so
all the markings are gone except for the serial number which is V581xx. It is about 7 11/16 from
center of action bolt to center of action bolt. It is a military action with the normal thumb cut
in the left action rail. The floor plate is stamped and ugly and is the orginal with matching
serial number. The bolt is curved down about an 1 1/4 inch from horizontal and has a flat under
the bolt knob. The serial numbers are in the floor plate, on top of the bolt handle, and on the right
side of the receiver. It is a large ring action. Other than that it is no different than any of the usual military mausers I have seen.

Does anyone have any clue as to what I have got?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Yugo mod.48A.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
probably a war time issue K98. The early (prewar) had nice milled floorplates followers, etc., but as the war went on they went to stamped parts.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
His hole spacing indicates an intermediate action.
The K98 has a hole spacing of approximately 7 7/8"
The Yugoslavian model 48A has a stamped bottom metal and is an intermediate length action.
Also, the Yugo has that flat on the bottom of the bolt knob.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Rojelio,

Are the Yugo 48's junk or decent. It seems to be well made except for the floor plate.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
OEH,
Yhe Yugo 48s are not considered one of the better fitted and finished mausers on the market. However, being built after wwII, I am fairly certain that a more modern steel was used in their construction than some of the earlier mausers. I would not be afraid to build anything on that action that will fit and feed through the magazine properly.

Rojelio