Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stocking an M48
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to get an M48 mauser, take off the military stock, and put a sporter stock on it for a nice little 8x57 sporter. Mitchell sales offers a laminate stock that they say is a drop in for the M48. They look OK, but not great. Also, they ask $200 for the stock. Boyd's offers the Ria walnut stock inletted for the M48 and military barrel, but I would prefer one in laminate. They said they would build one in laminate with swivel studs for about $150, but the stock comes unfinished and with no recoil pad. That's a no-go. If someone made a synthetic for the intermediate-length M48, I could live with that. I have not yet been able to find one, though. Does anyone know who makes a good stock inletted for the M48?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a finished laminate for a M48 from boyds. I am fairly certain they still make them. This was just last mounth.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I e-mailed them about this. They said that my best bet was the Ria VIP in Laminate. They did list a finished M48 JRS stock in walnut fitted for the military barrel that I also saw on Midway. On their site, however, it was listed as discontinued. They did not list any finished laminate stocks for the M48 with the military barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I may have the only synthetic stocked M48 in existence. My Muaser guru had to cobble a B&C large ring stock and glass bed it to get it to work. The stock work cost me $500. My suggestion would be to go with the Boyd's VIP. If they had been available when I did mine, I would have gotten one.

As far as I know, no one makes a synthetic M-48 stock.

Fast Ed

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote