Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Model77 for custom???
 Login/Join

posted
I,got one of those in 243 for a farly good price, but the barrel is shot out.
Are they good material for custom work or should I try something else.
Im interesting in 243 or 6mmbr light weight warmint rifle for shooting fox.

Posts: 9 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Although certainly not what you have in mind, here is one I had built up in a 375 Wildcat which will no doubt become a 375 Ruger sooner than later. It has proven to be an accurate rifle with the addition of a Timney trigger, and with an Ed Lapour three position safety a very user friendly one also. I would not hesitate to do another one.

I might add Dennis Olson, who is a pretty savy smith, has used Ruger actions for his personal firearms in the past.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on several factors. First, what's your goal and budget? If your intention is a full blown custom rifle with $3-6 thousand in parts and gunsmithing then my answer would be no for the simple reason that the Ruger is not considered by many to be a top notch chassis and this will hurt your rifle's value. In this instance you would be better off using something like a Winchester pre-64 style action or even a Remington 700 action.
OTOH, if all you are looking for is a nice shooter and don't plan on spending more than say $1200 bucks in parts and labot then I say go for it,,,
I built a really nice custom Ruger 77 in .338 Win mag with a beautiful custom stock for around $1200 in the mid 1990s and a friend at work admired it so much he paid me $1600 for it the minute he saw it! Damn, I miss that rifle.

posted Hide Post
Thanks.
I think you would call this semi custom, rebarrel and some trigger job,would you think the feeding will by ok if I go for a 6mm br.

Posts: 9 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Feeding may be an issue with the 6 BR. That's something you'll have to discuss with your gunsmith.
I have three Ruger 77's and all shoot very well. I did do trigger mods and free floated the barrels, but they all shoot far better than I ever dreamed they would. I polished the barrel bores with JB Bore Paste to smooth out any rough spots.

Don