New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 dakota
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does this cartridge (.416 Dakota) require a long magnum action - or can it be used without too much fuss on a Std. M98 action??

Thanks.

Posts: 81 | Location: Hayward, CA | Registered: 11 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Unless I've missed something, I believe M98 will work.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wes,
Yes, if you can make the action .375 H&H length, you can do it. A Mauser 98 can definitely be done up for .416 Dakota.

I have a Winchester M70 that is chambered for the .416 Dakota.

The only caveat is that there are a few bullets that will give the loaded COL greater than 3.600" that makes it a no-go in the box.

The older 400 grain Swift A-Frame and some of the 400 grain Hornady soft and solids will have the cannelure in the wrong place to fit the box.
Some of these bullets may have different nose profiles now than the older ones I have.

The Barnes TSX and the GSC FN or HV of any weight will work, as will the North Fork CP, FP, and SP. Woodleigh softs and solids work. Plenty work fine. What more could you need?

It is basically like an improved .416/404Jeffery. It is the same length as the .416 Remington.

Some of the bullets that are too long in the nose would require a Rigby length box or a canneluring tool might allow a different seating, or some might work with no crimping if they can be seated deep enough.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
While you could make a 98 work due to the length of the case there are other actions that would be ready with lot less work.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Though M98 standard actions have been opened up to even .416 Rigby size, like the original Harry Selby rifle, it doesn't make it advisable.

The magazine box and feed work would be the biggest part of the work on a standard M98, but it could be done in H&H length instead of Rigby length.

Using an M70 already set up with the .300 RUM magazine box is an expedient to waiting a year or two to get a Dakota.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
You COULD start with a Mauser 98 that you might have a hundred bucks in, but that's just the beginning. You'd need to have the loading port opened up, the bolt face, bolt stop, feed ramp, feed rails, and extractor altered, a new bolt handle and safety installed; the receiver face squared and the threads single-pointed; plus new screws, a new trigger and safety system; new bottommetal, including a new magazine system that is mathematically-correct to provide the correct stack angle for the .416 Dakota cartridge; the lug seats and locking lugs remachined and lapped into full contact, etc. Then you have to have the action properly rehardened by a special lab. By the time all is said and done, you'll have at least $5K invested in your $100 action in order to get things RIGHT.

As RIP indicated, a M70 for one of the RUMS is a better, more cost-effective start, and a Granite Mountain action that is set up properly from the beginning and is created, by intent, to be so is better yet. The later costs more up front, but you'll have MORE invested in the surplus 98 when all is said and done, and the steels won't be as good. Pay now or pay later, take your pick. I think it's a stretch to try to turn and action created to house the 8mm Mauser cartridge into a .416 Dakota in any event.

Cost-wise, start with the Model 70........

AD