Find
Notify
Tools

What else fits a Talley scope base?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Do any other rings fit on Talley scope bases?
I have been looking at several Warne variations that are for Sako's, CZ's etc and just wondered if anything else fits on a Talley base.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately no---only Talley rings will mate with their bases.

Talley is manufacturing a Picatinny style ring though now.....

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
That won't help I already have a custom base made to accept Talleys on the rifle. I want to swap several different scopes on and off and was hoping for a cheaper way to do it than the 85$ a pop for Talley's.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Define a more reasonable rate?...

Aren't good quality rings about $45?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yeah Warnes are about that or a bit cheaper, Talley's are at least twice the price. Last set of Warnes I got for $29 something plus ship with some other stuff.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Of course it is not my money...I am just having difficulty seeing the real issue...

A decent scope is going to cost $250 on the used market and the other rings are going to cost you say 40.

So this is an issue of $290 verus $335 for every scope you want to add.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike
I'll not try to argue with you I will admit I am a cheapskate. I have spent good money on ridiculous things and have spent good money on great things but I am having a hard time choking down the prices on Talley rings. Seems that in the last 5 years their prices have more than doubled and I have a hard time swallowing that and am looking for an alternative.
Most of my scopes do cost more than $250 but it still doesn't make me want to blow more money on rings.
I thought at one time Warne made rings that fit Talley pattern bases?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom, I'm not saying that Warne never did, it isn't listed in any of my Talley stuff though, and I am acutally a Talley dealer, you're not quite right about their prices doubling in 5 years, but unfortunately, close to it! Material costs are one thing, but with better mfg techniques, which they have, one would have hoped for price stabilization at least--but it ain't so...although it probably defeats some of your purpose, the standard screw lock rings are only $70...., and actually, I have found it pretty easy to 'index' the scopes to where I want them with the screw lock rings, but the QD screw locks are close to $90 now.....

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Snellstorm,

How succesful are you at cow elk hunting in CO?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Mike I've been successful on elk in Colorado many times I have also been skunked before too, why do you ask?

Thanks fish I was talking about the detachables. Yeah a slight exageration but not far off!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I dont know about most of you guys but every time I have compromised because of price I have regretted it. I have Talley's on everything and bitch about the price when I am buying them but am happy I do afterwards. I'll skip eating out twice and it amortizes the cost of the rings and the rings are a better deal anyway; they will last forever, even a very good meal will last only a few hours...

"Settle for what you get and you get what you deserve."

_Baxter

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of my scopes do cost more than $250 but it still doesn't make me want to blow more money on rings

Why not buy an 85$ cheaper scope to better afford the rings? Not trying to be a smart-ass but if you can justify 250$ ++ on a scope an extra 45$ on rings seems easy to justify...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the rest of you, but I soon forget what it costs when the darn things work perfecly.

But cheapo crap will forever sick in your craw..no matter what the "bargain price"

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I soon forget what it costs when the darn things work perfecly

I agree, I just dumped 800$ into a god-awful ugly guitar this year and I wonder why until I plug the thing in...

Get the good stuff...always

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Allright allright I know what you are talking about and I do love quality stuff but...........
I thought Warne made a ring that fits Talley bases anyone care to comment on that?
I like Warne rings and must admit I like them about as much as I like Talleys, I think they are well made and see no real reason to pay double or triple over the cost of Warne's for Talleys if I can find a Warne that fits. Anyone else heard of a Warne ring that fits a Talley base?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Snellstorm,

I buy you 4 sets of Talley Rings...we each share all the expenses and you coordinate the cow elk hunt...

Whatdya think...LoL

Mike

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure you are thinking of the old Warne Premier series rings. They fit a dovetail that is a little narrower than the Talley. But they are not interchangable.

You will never regret spending the extra few bucks for quality rings. But you will sure cuss yourself the first time a set of bargain rings gives you issues.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I think the lack of options is leading you in a direction you are unwilling to tread...

The only suitable (and acceptable apparently) answer will be found here:

1-800-683-5590
503-657-5590
9500 SW Tualatin Road
Tualatin, OR 97062
info@warnescopemounts.com

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody that answers my question, Talley rings it is on the Talley bases I have.

Hey Mike PM me if you want to talk some about an elk.