New
Find
Notify
Tools

K Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm gonna have my 22 Hornet rechambered to K Hornet. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. Is this a big deal? Did you have it done locally or did you have to send it away?
Did anybody have any bad luck with this procedure? Can anyone recommend a gunsmith?
Thank you for your help.

Br

Posts: 50 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
I own 5 K-Hornets, have rechambered several hundred, and built several from scratch.

The K-Hornet is the most sensible wildcat around. It transfers a rather uncertain headspace dimension to the shoulder so the wide variation in rim thicknesses are no longer a problem. Case life is increased at least 5 times and velocity is much improved, depending on the gun.

Ross Seyfried wrote a "Shooter's insight" column in Guns and Ammo in '87 or '88 that goes into more detail.

If I had to live the rest of my life with just one centerfire rifle it would be a K-Hornet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr Belk...That's quite an endorsement. Thank you.

[ 07-29-2002, 02:41: Message edited by: born ready ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry...Double post. How do you delete a post? [Confused]

[ 08-25-2002, 10:03: Message edited by: born ready ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience is limited to one gun (a Ruger 77-22H) which was redone by the previous owner. It is an absolute honey! Considering the spotty reputation of the Ruger, this would appear to be a strong recommendation for the K-Hornet conversion.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
Dear Mr. Belk [and the rest of you!]

Reading this thread, it is obvious to me [if not to my wife] that I must somehow come into possession of a .22 Hornet or a hornet based wildcat. Actually, I was thinking of a .20 K-Hornet or Ackley Hornet [.22 Hornet necked down to .20 cal. and improved]. With Hornady's 33 grain bullet that would seem to be a very balanced litte cartridge.

Here is my question: I recall reading an article in a gun mag several years ago in which the writer opined [rather strongly] that it was essential to have the Hornet chambering reamer cut to match one's brass. Specifically, that if one did not get a tight fit between cartridge and chamber at the base of the case, just in front of the rim, that incipient [early] case separation would occur. Is this true? Must one pay special attention to have the chamber cut tight at the base of this cartridge for the reasons stated above?

Finally, can anyone recommend an action for a custom project on a Hornet based cartridge? A Sako L-46 in .22 Hornet is well nigh impossible to find; don't like the CZ or Ruger [sorry!]; can't afford a Cascade, used Kimber's are scarce. Any other suggestions. [Cooper is an option, but I'd like a repeater].

Thanks gentlemen.

Regards,

Jordan

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I finally did it!!!
On Saturday afternoon, my friend Massimo and I spent more or less an our cautiously hand turning the 22K-Hornet made by Clymer finisher, lubeing inspecting and blowing away little shaving. Inspecting the barrel with the lens the work appare well done. On next week end I'll test it.
Maybe this can help someone.
Anschutz 1432 rifle is a little difficult to convert, because the barrel is inserted in the hot action, probably solded, and "nailed" (not screwed). Moreover, the center of the barrel is not concentric to the action.
Some technical data:
the action diameter is 16mm.
The finisher line (where it doesn't cut) is 11mm.
the difference between the two measures is 5mm.
if you take in consideration that you can unmount the barrel, you can do it, but Anschutz advise you against doing it. We had to reduce the diameter of the finisher line and create the final tool toperate. At the end Massimo created a T instrument +/- 35 cm long, finisher included, an with it we did the job
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I finally did it!!!
On Saturday afternoon, my friend Massimo and I spent more or less an our cautiously hand turning the 22K-Hornet made by Clymer finisher, lubeing inspecting and blowing away little shaving. Inspecting the barrel with the lens the work appare well done. On next week end I'll test it.
Maybe this can help someone.
Anschutz 1432 rifle is a little difficult to convert, because the barrel is inserted in the hot action, probably solded, and "nailed" (not screwed). Moreover, the center of the barrel is not concentric to the action.
Some technical data:
the action diameter is 16mm.
The finisher line (where it doesn't cut) is 11mm.
the difference between the two measures is 5mm.
if you take in consideration that you can unmount the barrel, you can do it, but Anschutz advise you against doing it.
But it is impossible to mount the finisher on the lathe, and contemporary is impossible to generate a manual tool of the action diameter
We had to reduce the diameter of the finisher square line and create the final tool to perate. At the end Massimo created a T instrument +/- 35 cm long, 11mm of maximum diameter, finisher (insertet in the “handle”Wink included, an with it we did the job.
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote