New
Find
Notify
Tools

colour case hardening questions??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
can a blued action be redone to colour case hardening? is it expensive ? are there any advantages with cch? is it more or less rust resistantthan other treatments?

Posts: 148 | Location: brisbane australia | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
kos--

It depends a alot on the action. Nickle steel doesn't color well with pack hardening (Colt SA) but does ok with cyanide (Ruger Vequeero).

CC is not as tough as rust blue and offers little rust protection, but is pretty enough to enjoy anyway. CC steel has a "feel" to it like rust blue that's pleasant to handle.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Tom's gunshop over in Cody Wyoming does excellent color case hardening of the "Old Browning" style. Rich, vivid colors and patterns. Cyanide process. Makes old single shots and single actions come alive...

Malm

<JBelk>
posted
malm---

A couple questions about the "old Browning style".

What Browning was ever color cased?

I think the first cyanide coloring I ever saw was on the old Savage cast iron actions.....the first milled action was an Ithaca/Perrazzi in 1970. It's a pretty new process that was perfected in this country by Jack Jenkins........I *think*.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Jack,

You are correct, Browning never color cased their stuff until now. Browning is now offering color case hardened Citori's, 85's and they will soon announce color cased 95's as well. They will have the Citori and 85 at the Trade Show. According to Tom, Owner and operator of Toms Gunshop in Cody Wyoming, Browning purchased his cyanide process from him and has contracted Tom to do the coloring for them on their new guns. As for the "Old Browning Style" reference, Tom refers to this finish as "The old look". Does that help?

Malm

<Kboom>
posted
Kos
This Blackhawk revolver was originaly blued.
The blue is removed before the action is packed in charcoal.  -

[ 02-09-2003, 05:37: Message edited by: Kboom ]

<JBelk>
posted
Malm---

Yes, that helps. I thought I'd missed a Browning somewhere. [Smile]

I normally don't care for cyanide colors at all. I'll look forward to the new Browning to see what he means.

It'll be quite a feat if he can get the charcoal straws and browns with cyanide.