Find
Notify
Tools

L.H. Receiver
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A question for the gunsmiths.
I bought a RH Sako 75 in 7mm-08 a couple of years past.My 16 year old has taken a liking to the rifle but being a lefty has great difficulty with the RH bolt.
What would it involve replacing the receiver to LH? Where would i be able to buy (and sell) one? Have you any links i could look up. Thanks for your help.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yep buy a LH Sako 75 rifle in 7-08. If you don't need 2 sell the RH

Assuming you could find a LH receiver it wouldn't fit correctly in your RH stock. Nor could you assume that the barrel would simply screw on and fit.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.fritidvildmarksliv....r_vanster_19523.html

Its 140L for a new one.You can come to hunt capercaillie or beaver if you come and get.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul and Nordic2, You know that is a very tempting offer......and a nice rifle, but im kind of attatched to my 7mm-08. Big Grin jc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6,5*55 is a great caliber for british hunting, but the rifle can be ordered in different calibers. You should look at tikka LH rifles they are less expensive and is made by the same people.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Paul and Nordic2, You know that is a very tempting offer......and a nice rifle, but im kind of attatched to my 7mm-08

OK I know it is before coffee but I'm Confused.

You want a 7-08 RH but your son needs a LH. Since you are talking 2 different rifles (unless you want to shoot the LH) then get whatever caliber you want for your sons.

I didn't see 7-08 listed in my quick look at the sako sight. But for us across the pond shooters is their listing for 7mmx7.62 not a 7-08?

I would second the vote for the Tikka. Nice rifle the couple I've shoot were accurate made in LH and chambered as I read it for 7-08 with a number of stock options.

Maybe if my old mind better understood it could give better advice. Frowner

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,That WAS the problem, no 7mm-08 LH in this mod i could find. I think the LH Tikka is sound advice.Thank you both.jc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako didn't make the 75 left handed, but the new 85 is available left handed but in a limited range of calibres. No 7mm-08, but they do do the 6.5x55, which is light recoiling, but still shoots a 140gn bullet nice and flat - no deer would notice the difference. If you want 7mm then there is the 7x64, which with a 123 or 140gn load is light recoiling, but also shoots the 173gn with plenty of authority.
Tikka t3 is another good option and available in 7-08 according to their site. Or if you want top quality have a look at the Heym Sr 21.

Otherwise find an old Sako left handed action and have it rebarrelled to your wishes.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of a really nice left handed full stock Sako in 243 here in Scotland - drop me a pm

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:

Otherwise find an old Sako left handed action and have it rebarrelled to your wishes.

Heym SR20, Thank you, more good info there. With regard to a source for a LH action, thats what i was hoping to get here, but it appears to be a no no to fit. A LH stock is less of a problem. I would fit a composite. The Walnut stock, which is on it,is far to nice to be dragged up and down high seats in any case.
PM sent,I have one spare on my ticket.jc

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
John,

I doubt very seriously that you will find a LH Sako "action" What I see Heym SR20 saying is what the rest of us have been saying. Find an Sako LH rifle. Since they aren't chambering in 7-08 currently find and older one built in something like a 243 or other case similar in length to the 308. Then pull the old barrel and have the rifle barreled in 7-08.

The walnut stock you currently have on your RH rifle has no issue on what stock will be on the LH. They don't swap. You will have 2 complete rifles. One RH one LH.

You can probably find a Tikka for not much more than a rebarrel and reblue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I think im good to go now. Thanks for your advice,its been very helpful. I shall let you know the outcome.jc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
Paul, I think im good to go now. Thanks for your advice,its been very helpful. I shall let you know the outcome.jc

Finally got a Tikka Lite in 243 L.H.for my son. Cracking little rifle, thanks to all for your help.jc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he will enjoy it! Smiler