Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta S56 E / Silver Snipe Longevity question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings Gents it has been a while !

The above shotgun is the most used of my two doubles. It belonged to my father and has been used hard ever since we have had it in the family. No parts have ever broken but I did take it to Gerard Schultz of GS Custom fame many years for a tightening of the action with no parts replaced at all.

I would like to know if it would be possible to have this gun totally overhauled for want of a better term to keep it going another 45 odd years or so? What would be the key things to have done to her in order to ensure her longevity?

I would greatly appreciate your professional opinion.
Thanks in advance

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I had a 56E many years ago but sold it because it didn't fit so well and because something else was dropped in my lap. I did, however, have some problem with misfiring but can't recall the exact trouble now.

On the matter of longevity, it has been said that Berettas may not stay on face as long as Brownings but that they are easier/cheaper to fix when they need to be fixed because new cones usually do the job.

The famous racing-car driver and clay-bird shooter Jackie Stewart regarded the later Berettas as much more durable than either Purdey or H&H, from his shooting-school experience. Perhaps sponsorship explains that claim - but maybe he wrote the truth.

Posts: 5089 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sambarman338.

I suppose my major obstacle will be to find a competent individual in South Africa to undertake the rebuild..?

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really not a lot to do, just a good cleaning, check for worn parts is about it. I have had one since they were introduced. The stock has been refinished a couple of times, the pad replaced at least twice. If the lockup starts to get a little loose there are oversized locking bolts that can be fitted. Check the area around the rear tang for cracks, fix if necessary. If it has a vent rib then check to see if it is coming loose. That can be an expensive repair. Keep shooting it and pass it on to the kids.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cgbach thanks for the tips! The rib has a couple noticeable dings courtesy my Dad, and a few very small dings in the barrel. Do these need to be repaired or can I leave as is for sentimental reasons? I will be rebluing the barrels.

Thanks again for your helpful reply

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Raising the dents, especially if the barrels are going to be reblacked anyway, is a very good idea.

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dents can be raised and the barrels rust blued. The bores are chrome lined so you must take proper care if you are going to do any choke work.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys again for the helpful advice. Are new factory parts easy to find or do I leave that to the gunsmith to worry about? I would prefer factory originals and dont mind the extra expense on this gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
The bores are chrome lined so you must take proper care if you are going to do any choke work.
C.G.B.
Im quite happy with the tight fixed chokes so I wont be touching those Big Grin really folds the geese at close range !FULL/ MODIFIED

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This guy says he has some Beretta parts. I have never dealt with him so have no first hand knowledge.
http://www.gun-parts.com/beretta/
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks cgbach I have sent them an e-mail. Appreciate all the help
regards