New
Find
Notify
Tools

2021 Darwin award
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had a Ruger 77 stainless.223 brought in to me yesterday with a stuck cartridge in the chamber, it had half the head torn off.
The owner said he unloaded a blackout cartridge and used the powder to load the 223 as it (looked ) to be the same amount it, when he fired it the force blew the bolt open tearing half the cartridge head off shearing the extractor clip and tearing the extractor off the bolt and bending the bolt release.
He had some superficial minor scrapes and burns on his face
Needless to say I am turning it back to the owner, perhaps he can get Ruger to see if it can be returned to service I am not going mess with it. I guess Ruger actions are stronger than I thought it saved him some serious injury

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ruger will offer to sell you a new one; I have sent them blown up revolvers before. No way will they even attempt to repair it.
Yes, I know guys who still think Rugers are made from cast iron because they read they were cast. They are not all that smart.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it had half the head torn off.
The owner said he unloaded a blackout cartridge and used the powder to load the 223 as it (looked ) to be the same amount it, when he fired it the force blew the bolt open

So 1 lug failed and 1 lug abutment failed?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Lugs failed? I would be absolutely amazed if any failure mode damage to the major components resulted. The gas itself rotated the bolt open.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darwin award only goes to those that no longer reproduce! Most die. One guy stuck a sawed off shotgun in the front of his pants, you get the picture!

Posts: 724 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Lugs failed? I would be absolutely amazed if any failure mode damage to the major components resulted. The gas itself rotated the bolt open.

Opps, he said head, and clarified it was the cartridge head below. I missed that.

So was the only damage an extractor, extractor C collar and bolt stop?