New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something New to Look at!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A nice little .22-3000 Lovell (not R-2) made in the 1930’s by Griffin & Howe using a 1922 Springfield. Hensoldt 4X scope, groove diameter is .224â€.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I'm currently building a "repro" G&H in 30-06 on an '03 action. Your photographs have been very helpful. Keep them coming.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Michael. I have a bag of new 22-3000 G&H brass waiting on a rifle. I have dies also. I need a suitable receiver. I believe I have that scope also.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Last weekend at the Greenwich, CT show I saw a G&H done on a Remington Model 30, quite a beautifull piece of work. I'm told they're are not uncommon and were made in some large calibers such as the .375 H&H (the one I saw as a 30.06).

Do you know if G&H did any customs directly on the 1917 action or only on the Rem. M30's sporters?

Do you have any photos of a G&H M30? They were asking $18,500 for the one I saw so a picture may be as close as I come to one....

Also at the show was a G&H Kurz Mauser in .250 Savage, looked unused, they said it was Kornbrath engraved and Adolph stocked.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Very nice Michael. I have a bag of new 22-3000 G&H brass waiting on a rifle. I have dies also. I need a suitable receiver. I believe I have that scope also.
Butch

This rifle is the .22-3000 and I have some G&H .22-3000 R2 brass, what brass do you have? G&H made both and chambered for both.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Michael,

Last weekend at the Greenwich, CT show I saw a G&H done on a Remington Model 30, quite a beautifull piece of work. I'm told they're are not uncommon and were made in some large calibers such as the .375 H&H (the one I saw as a 30.06).

Do you know if G&H did any customs directly on the 1917 action or only on the Rem. M30's sporters?

Do you have any photos of a G&H M30? They were asking $18,500 for the one I saw so a picture may be as close as I come to one....

Also at the show was a G&H Kurz Mauser in .250 Savage, looked unused, they said it was Kornbrath engraved and Adolph stocked.

I'll check for M30 photos, not sure I have any. In my G&H database of over 600 rifles I have seven in M30 and 4 in 1917's two were 300 H&H target rifles and two were 375 H&H's.

The little .250-3000 will be for sale at auction in March.
http://www.amoskeag-auction.com/64/auction64_2.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess they were uncommon. Thank you Michael, I look forward to any photos you might find.

Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,
Mine are headstamped 22-3000 and G&H. I would have to measure and and check one of my books. I believe that I have some R2 dies also.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is a 22-3000 a 250-3000 necked down? What's an R-2?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 22-3000 is a 25-20 necked to 22. The R-2 is an improved version of the same.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the bad photo, the .22-3000 was made from the .25-20 Single-Shot a long case introduced before the .25-20 WCF. Both the original and R2 are marked "G&H .22-3000".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will look again in the morning, but it may be the R-2.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to cover all bases: This LOOKS like a Shelhammer stock. If it has a steel buttplate, remove it and see if it's stamped "Shelhammer" If so, you really have a keeper

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only brass that is headstamped 22-3000 is the G&H (Griffin & Howe) R-2 (or 2R). The brass was made for G&H by Winchester in the 1930s when the supply of 25-20 SS brass ran out.

The 22-3000 Lovell was the second of many wildcats using the 25-20 SS case. I have 9 different ones in my collection including the original, the 22-20-55 Harwood Hornet, which dates to the 1890s.

Michael, that is a great looking rifle.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Nice, Michael! I'm doing a Mannlicher stock for a 7mm FN now, and I was bothered by the fact that my comb flute on the cheekpiece side was turning out smaller than the flute on the right side. I see I'm doing just fine. Nice shadow line on the cheekpiece, too. Thanks for the photos. Lanny S. PS: Where the hell is the Jan issue of PS???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess my brass is R2.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lanny

The comb flutes used to bother me too because I always tried to get them the same but it just would not work out. After looking at some of the really good stocks (such as Linden's and Shellhammer's) I realized that they don't need to be identical. I recall reading some comments by Roy Dunlap where he talked about this. I'll never forget what he said, "You can't see both sides at the same time so why worry."

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xs headspace:
Thanks for the photos. Lanny S. PS: Where the hell is the Jan issue of PS???

I just got mine two days ago so you should see yours soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Just to cover all bases: This LOOKS like a Shelhammer stock. If it has a steel buttplate, remove it and see if it's stamped "Shelhammer" If so, you really have a keeper

This is a G&H from the front sight to the trapdoor buttplate. As a matter of fact it cost me a Shelhamer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple questions about taking gun pictures via email, should I address that here or start a new thread?

one of us
posted Hide Post
New thread.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Petrov:

I'll check for M30 photos, not sure I have any. In my G&H database of over 600 rifles I have seven in M30 and 4 in 1917's two were 300 H&H target rifles and two were 375 H&H's.

http://www.amoskeag-auction.com/64/auction64_2.html

Here's some pics of the one I saw, it's a 30-06.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

This picture is of the G&H 250-3000 from Amoskeag. Just curious if this is the normal tolerances of inletting on G&H's. I'm not being a wiseguy, I can't work woodwork to save my life but this seems a bit sloppy compared to some contemporary customs I've seen. Is it just wear? The rest of the gun looks too unused for that or has it been refinished?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Remington, do you remember the G&H barrel number?

I would expect the inletting to be a little better than that but not having see the whole rifle it's hard to tell.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I didn't get the barrel number. If I find out I'll let you know.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Michael

Wasn't the 30-06 rifle Grancel Fitz used for nearly everything built by Griffin & Howe on a Remington 30?

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idared:
Michael

Wasn't the 30-06 rifle Grancel Fitz used for nearly everything built by Griffin & Howe on a Remington 30?

Yes it was...

From an article by Fred Barker in the January 1999 Precision Shooting:

Fitz took all 26 of the then legal North American big game animals with this rifle......save one. He dispatched a mountain lion in a cave with a shotgun.

The rifle was a Remington Model 30, 30-06, with 22" barrel. Safety and bolt handle were as original. He requested the following from Griffin & Howe:
. straight grained English walnut stock
. silver name plate
. 2 1/4 Hensoldt scope
. Griffin & Howe side mount
. Lyman 48 receiver sight
. special front sight with vertical gold bar
. front sling swivel barrel band
. two-stage trigger with 3 lb release

The rifle weighed 10.5 pounds.

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More pics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice rifle, with that date of December, 1934 I would really like to know the barrel number. That would help sort out when other rifle wee made now that we have a time frame for this one. Hope you can locate the owner or info. I've never been a fan of the M30's but I could sure change my mind.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MIke I have a request in to the owner, hopefully I will be able to get it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's No. 1446 I remember the Moose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see G&H left the floorplate release in the original military style, di they usually do this on the M30's?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen enough M30's to say one way or the other. Most 1903's were left that way, that half-circle of checkering on the forward part of the floorplate is for the thumb when pushing it back to open.