New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convert Yugo Safety Breach?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can a Model 1924 Yugo Mauser with the safety breach system be converted to standard Mauser 98 breach system (when re-barreling)by fitting a different bolt?

And if so, what bolt do I get/use (to give to the gunsmith)?

Any one ever done this?

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can a Model 1924 Yugo Mauser with the safety breach system be converted to standard Mauser 98 breach system (when re-barreling)

Yes & you can use the original bolt but there is nothing wrong with the safety breech feature. What benifit are you looking for?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just read that the safety breach can have either a feeding or extraction problem on occasion.

If it is a simple thing to convert to the M98 system and not have to worry about it, why not?

I was wondering if it was as good as the M98 system since the Yugo is the only one(Mauser) to use it. Or at least I think it is.

It's one of those thing that, properly set up will probably never be a problem. But if I can go "pure M98" why not. Peace of mind I guess.

Any disadvantage to converting to the M98 system?

Allen

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
You can screw a new barrel onto your rifle and blast away. The safety breech is a nice touch, but you don't need it. My Yugo never mis-feed before I rebarreled it and I haven't had any problems with it since.

You'll be just fine.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenBosely:
I just read that the safety breach can have either a feeding or extraction problem on occasion.

If it is a simple thing to convert to the M98 system and not have to worry about it, why not?

I was wondering if it was as good as the M98 system since the Yugo is the only one(Mauser) to use it. Or at least I think it is.

Allen,

I really don't think a change to a Model 98 style bolt face will make any difference. The FN model 24, which was adopted by the Yugoslavs, never had a feeding or extraction problem. The Model 48 is the same basic action with some cosmetic changes.

I know that some commercial FN intermediate length actions were made, but I don't know what the bolt face was like,as I have not seen one. Maybe someone else can answer whether it has the cartridge guide on the left hand side, as that is the difference.

Jeffe could probably say if any of the Mexican intermediates had that feature. A standard Mod 98 barrel will remove the safety breech and leave a slightly less supported case head like any Model 98.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The normal Yugo M1924 is an intermediate length bolt and about the only one that might fit would be from a 1903 Turk. If you have a Yugo 1924b then it is a standard length action.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Mexican M24 made by FN Belgium has the standard mauser breeching system. That bolt would work although it might be a little difficult to locate one.

Rojelio

woops, I take that back. I just went and checked and the 24 has the same bolt as the 1910 and 1936 Mexican with the short nose on the bolt. Carry on.

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want an intermediate action that uses a standard type bolt then quit messing about and just buy a Peruvian 1909 or it's less expensive cousin the 1903 Turk. These are fine actions but there is nothing wrong with the safety breech system.

I've shot an M24 that I rebarrelled to 7x57 for more more than 20. It has NEVER failed to feed properly.

I suspect that the real reason that the system didn't catch on was that it was more expensive to produce.

And remember, most feeding issues in mausers and similar actions are due to improper setup especially when rebarrelling in cartridges the actions were NOT designed to feed.

Now, will you please just build your darn rifle. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ackley did some tests that seemed to show the
"safety breech" had no benefit.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would a 1910 Mexican bolt fit the Model 1924 Yugo intermediate action when rebarreling?

I understand they are used the other way around i.e... a M24/47 (same as the Model 1924) bolt in a Mex action, when rebarreling.

Allen