New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Model 70s
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In my opinnon the left round shoud come up fully engaged a little before half way. The right round should come up and engage a little past half way...This is accomplished by rail word and the claw extractor...At least in a Mauser and about the same on a Mod 70....

My DGRs are pretty much exact on the above and they never fail to feed or extract and have been throughly tested over time...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased two Left Hand Model 70s last sping, a 30-06 and a 375 H&H. I noticed when I got them to the range as I moved a round from the magazine to the chamber the cartridge didn't seem to pop under the extractor as I thought a CRF rifle should. The cartridge didn't pop under the extractor until the round was almost all the way in the chamber. My friend had purchased a Model 70 375 H&H the prior year and his worked as I thought it should, the round came out of the magazine and went right under the extractor.

In comparing the rifles I noticed his had a different follower. I have also noticed the more rounds in my rifles magazines the better the CRF works.

I took the rifles to McClelland's ( Winchester Warranty Shop in Dallas),they charged me $180 to lighten the triggers, last time I ever go there, and they told me everything is fine.

I'm interested in anyone's experience with this, I think my rifles are the new Model 70s made in South Carolina, my friends was made in CT. I think a stronger follower spring might be the answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

Posts: 134 | Location: dallas,tx | Registered: 29 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Cyber-diagnosis of feeding problems in rifles is iffy at best. Without seeing the actions in person and determining the malfunctions its pretty tough to diagnosis what is going on with your Win 70s. Its not uncommon at all for the factory Win 70 Classics to have feeding problems, but they are usually fixed quite easily by a competent 'smith. Did the $180 charged to you include diagnosing any feeding/function issues? If it did and you still are not satisfied, then I would load up some dummy cartridges and demonstrate in person the feeding problems in your rifles to McClellands. Don't roll over for them, $180 to lighten two Win 70 triggers is BS! If they refuse, then file a complaint on them to Winchester/Olin Corp. Tell them if your gun jams during a safari for DG, then its going to be a liability issue!

Your last resort will/should have a competent 'smith look your rifles over and figure out whats going on. I would have the factory cast extractor blade replaced with a quality spring steel unit from Williams or Wisner's.

MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I am no gunsmith, but I had this same problem with a CZ 550. The shoulder (rim?, or whatever it is called) on the bolt face was not ground off sufficiently on one side so that it was blocking the cartridge head from coming up vertically under the extractor.

Only when the cartridge was partially forced into the chamber did the cartidge head get forced sideways enough to pop up past this shoulder and under the extractor. This may be your problem.

If this is your problem, you should be able to see where the cartridge head is hanging up.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gal,
Your problem may be as simple as an extractor with too much pinch which doesn't allow the cartridge to travel up under the extractor until it is forced up by the chamber. This can be adjusted by bending the tail of the extractor until the cartridge is just held to the bolt face.
The follower usually only affects the last round out of the magazine, so this probably would not have anything to do with your problem.

Good luck,
Headache

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Will
Which calibre CZ 550 did you have trouble with - you may have noted from posts here and elsewhere that I am trying to sort a similar problem with my CZ 416 Rigby - push feeding from the left rail?

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
It just happened to be a .458 WM, but I think that is irrelevant. I converted it to a Lott and had to do the "rail work" amd grinding down the front ramp to get it to feed. Getting it to feed may be tricky, and going too far means scrapping the action and starting over.

You ought to be able to see what is going on, or not going on, when it "push feeds." I wish I could help, but without seeing it, all I know it what was "wrong" with mine and how I fixed it.

Good luck.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote