THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Which action better suited for proprietary boomer?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which action better suited for proprietary boomer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have two actions from which to choose. The cartridge is from sskindustries and is the 12.9x50.8. It is a shortened(2.5inch) .460Wea opened to .50 cal. I have both a Rem model 600 originally chambered in 350mag and a Siamese Mauser currently set up for 45-70. Could either of these be utilized for this project? If not can some one explain why not?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
use the enfield you got the other day....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was hoping to use the P14 for a longer cartridge. My buddy who gave me the action got me a Parker-Hale barrel with the same odd-looking square/acme thread that is 27.5 inches long and chambered for .308. This barrel is 1.5inch tapered to .75@muzzle. I am sort of thinking about rechambering for 30-378. I may can the idea and opt for a stomper. I guess It would make more sense to utilize the full length of the P14 and look at the 460wea opened to 50 cal and not shortened.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's see. The Siam Mauser was chambered for an 8mm x 50 R cartridge and an 8mm x 52mm R cartridge. As I recall, RCBS made a form die set to make brass from .45/70 brass. So, IMHO, the action is set up for rounds in the 50/52mm length range. Sounds like it would be o.k.

b). the 460 W is a lot bigger than the .300 H&H ... Enough room. I don't know.

c). The problem with stompers as you call them, how heavy a bullet? If you plan to stick with the tiny slugs, 350 grains to 450 grains... They are not too long. You go into the 500 plus grains and they get long and stick out --length-- or use up powder capacity. What was your intention?

d). I thought the Rem 600 was designed around the .223 (.221 fireball specifically) and the larger rounds... Enough steel left to be safe? I admit I am guessing. No disrespect to Remington, but I think I would measure hard before proceeding with this baby. And your "stomper" will probably kick. You really want a tiny, light action?

e). As said, the Enfield was designed for long cartridges and the action Weatherby used to develop his first rounds as I understand--on the .300 H&H rim. It is heavy. No disagreement there. That helps ease out the recoil... Or do you like pain??? Your call. luck.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
drew, do the 500A2 or a 510 Wells on the Enfield. Or the 500AR.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
d). I thought the Rem 600 was designed around the .223 (.221 fireball specifically) and the larger rounds...

The 600 was chambered in .222, .223 not catalogued, 6mmRem, .243, .308, 35 Rem, 6.5 Rem Mag, and 350 Rem Mag. Apparently the lowest production numbers were in .222 and .223.
I'm not sure that a 460 case would be wise but a standard magnum shouldn't be an issue. A 2" 458 would be nice.

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do the 510 Wells on the Enfield.

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JDJones first put up the 12.9x50.8 with a rebated rim on a REM XP100. The load moved a 600gr bullet at just over 1800fps from a 10inch barrel. I was thinking the Siamese mauser would work fine-use 18inch barrel and away you go. I like the 510 Wells on the P14 even better.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member