Find
Notify
Tools

Do you modify the follower?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted
My mauser 98 follower has not been modified and on empty the follower has to be pushed down to close the bolt. Is this proper or should I make it more modern and grind it a bit? Or is a new pre-made follower a better choice. This is on my early 80's Frankonia 404J. I am changing the trigger to get rid of the two stage also. Anything else I should look at?
Thanks

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
It's your personal preference.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
You can shape the rear of the follower to get the bolt to push it down for you.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
You may already know this but if not, this was done so that in the heat of battle you would not close the bolt on an empty chamber and loose your life because of it. A rear ramp can be ground onto it as you suggested or a replacement purchased.

That is if it bothers you, I've seen them done both ways when customized. More frequently with the newer double ramp style but it is not "wrong" to leave it as is.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
I realized the importance of this feature for battle but was unsure if it was the thing to do to leave it for a sporter. I guess it has some use still and lets me know the roots of the gun. I will shoot it and evaluate.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a rifle in most sporting cartridges I would modify the follower.

However on a Dangerous game rifle in an appropriate caliber I would leave it intact.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote