Find
Notify
Tools

.318 reamer needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
My old 8 X 57 Mauser is the really old .318 caliber (known as "I" but more often refered to as "J") rather than the more modern .323 or S caliber. I intend to rechamber to 8 X 60 or 8 X 64 but need a reamer with the tighter throat. Anyone have one I can borrow or rent? This is a shoestring budget project and I hate to buy a reamer to only use one time. Duane Wiebe is doing the work.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why couldn't you use a standard removable pilot reamer and just use the correct bushing? You'd be able to use .323" bullets in the new larger throat.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The barrel bore is .318 caliber.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but if you get a pilot bushing sized for your .318 bore you can use it.

For example, I reamed a .308 Winchester chamber and the standard pilot is usually .300" but the barrel I used required the use of a .2985" pilot. You could do the same. I would but not all are comfortable doing this with a .005" mismatch.

If you need a reamer made, try Dave Manson or Dave Kiff.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Poleax, I'll bring it up with Duane as I don't know alot much about gunsmithing. Perhaps he can do as you suggest.