Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 trigger adjust Won't
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted
[Frown] I have a number of Remington model 700's & 7 that had trigger pulls all over the scales. I have them all adjusted at 3 pounds which I like, except ONE. It is a 700 in 300 win mag. and it just will not adjust. is set at over 5 pounds (scales limit) Will not come down. What do I do now? I soppose I'll have to get a new trigger group for it? Give me some Ideas on how I might get the Remington trigger to adjust first, please.
Thank you for any ideas,
[Big Grin] Al

[ 11-10-2002, 17:45: Message edited by: alleyyooper ]

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
There are a couple Rifle Basix triggers for sale at a great price in the Classified forum. Try one of them!

one of us
posted Hide Post
alleyyopper, try the spring kit by Holland, they have 2 kits I think and the trigger weight spring is there, Remington rcently began use of a much heavier spring in the weight adjustment. The Holland kit will fix her right up. Sold at Brownells.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Tim. I have a trigger that when I got it down to 3Lbs there wasn't enough preload on the trigger. The trigger felt sloppy & gritty. The Holland spring cured the problem.

Posts: 108 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Al,

Unless you are real familiar with the Remington triggers I wouldn't dig too deep into one. All factory Remington triggers can be worked down in weight of pull, but may require some sear angle restructuring to achieve it. This is best left to those who are seasoned trigger mechanics. Installing light springs in a finicky trigger may get you more than you bargained for.

Rifle Basix triggers are excellent triggers, but so too are the Remingtons when worked properly... Which ever way you go, be careful.

Regards,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
alleyyooper, remove lower weight adjusting screw, remove factory spring, install Holland. Adjust to 3 pounds. Kind of like changing a light bulb. Very hard to do it wrong. Regards Tim.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had problems with Rifle Basic,the sear was warped,likely in heat treating.It was bad enough that it jammed and the trigger wouldn't reset.The reset spring in the Rifle Basic is much lighter than the Remington,better trigger pull but at the cost of reliablity.The other design difference is the sear width in the housing leaves 10x the gap of the Remington.This could lead to crap jamming it.When I phoned,sh** happens,I got a tough luck from them.A day of stoning the sear and I made it work.I am still leary,when I hunt where I might be hunted ,I use the Winchester,poorer glass,poorer stock design, the XLT,odd place for a safety but a good reliable trigger.

[ 11-11-2002, 01:30: Message edited by: downwindtracker2 ]

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
http://pages.zdnet.com/remingtonsniper/remington700rifleclub/id14.htmlJL:

I have adjusted a Rem 700 trigger by following the instructions on this site, with good results.

MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
the guy at the gun store has told me that remington has begun to punch the screws after they have been set at the factory to reduce the chance of anyone messing with them. Is there any truth to this? I have looked at 2 newer remingtons and they were in fine condition and were easily adjusted.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
[Embarrassed] Guess I should have been a bit clearer on the trigger adjustments on my 700's. 5 of them range in date of manfacture mid 60's to early 70's which the 300 win mag is one of. The trigger in my late 90's model seven adjusted just fine as did my mid 90's 700 mountian rifle. I did use the sniper country text and picture as a guide. The movement of the 3 screws on the 300 win mag just does not affect the pull at all.
[Big Grin] Al

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
allyyopper, I have run into that one also, the spring is not seated in its hole properly. Run the weight screw all the way down till its very firm and then start backing off, won`t cost anything to try it either.

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Thank you all who replied. I though the trigger might be all gummed up so soaked it in a mix of gunk and kerosine. It de gummed it to the point broken pieces fell out on the news paper I spread to catch the drippings. I'll take it to the gun smith when I get back from deer camp. I bought this gun used a year ago, haven't even got to work a load up for it.
Again thank ya'll.
[Big Grin] Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alleyyooper:
It de gummed it to the point broken pieces fell out on the news paper I spread to catch the drippings.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]