THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Is it worth bushing a firing pin hole on a Mauser

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it worth bushing a firing pin hole on a Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted
I recently picked up a nice Mauser 98 bolt that has the handle forged in exactly the way I like them done, except the firing pin hole is wore quite a bit. I know that these can be bushed, but is it really cost effective? I guess what I am asking is what is a normal cost to have a firing pin rebushed?

Many thanks

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
It sorta makes you wonder what elser is badly worn or eroded.....

I'd vote not to bush the bolt.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
perhaps a really dumb question but I've heard of bushing the firing pin for just about ever. Exactly what does that do for you? Disregarding the worn bolt face, what does it do in a new rifle?

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Center's the firing pin hole.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bushing a bolt face is done for a few reasons. First, a bolt may be bushed to correct an eccentric hole. It may be bushed to restore closer tolerances in relation to the firing pin tip. It may be done to correct a damaged face (from gas cutting etc.) I usually charge around 85.00 plus any required parts. Most I do are done to reduce the firing pin tip diameter to eliminate primer blanking with high pressure loads. Often target shooters load to pressures which might be a bit over the top. Others which I may bush are old rifles which feature very large diameter tips and are haveing primer cratering problems as a result. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

perhaps a really dumb question but I've heard of bushing the firing pin for just about ever. Exactly what does that do for you? Disregarding the worn bolt face, what does it do in a new rifle?

Bill Leeper has given the reasons for bushing a pin hole these days. It was originally done on old BP actions (like the Sharps Borchardt that had large diameter pins when the actions were being rebarreled for high-pressure smokeless powder rounds. The actions were strong enough, but the large pin holes in the breech face didn't adequately support the primers when pressures got much above 25,000 PSI. Of course, this alteration also required that the pin be replaced with a smaller dia. pin, or the old one turned down....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to see it to determine the best way to proceed. If the hole isn't too big, you could install a slightly oversized firing pin. Remove the old firing pin tip. Replace it with a drill bit that just clean up the hole. Silver solder it in place in the striker. Use the striker with the drill bit stuck in it to clean up the hole. Cut off the bit leaving the smooth shank for your new firing pin tip. Ajust protrusion and make hemispherical.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote