Find
Notify
Tools

Need Info on "Falling Block Works" Actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi All,

I understand that around the 1970s and 80s there was a company called "Falling Block Works" that made single shot actions, in several sizes, that looked a lot like the Winchester 1885.

I'm looking for any information I can find on these actions, do any of you fellows own, ever owned, used, or worked on any of these actions? Does anyone know where I might find an action or a rifle made on one of these actions?

Once again, any information will be appreciated, I know that there must be someone in the vast and highly informed readership of this forum that can provide the information I need.

TIA,

Marcos (elalto)

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These actions were made in two sizes I believe. A small action for some of the Varmint rounds and a larger action to handle big game rounds. They were fairly plain, but well made. Either on AuctionArms or GunBroker there is currently a complete rifle listed with a picture to show the action. I believe that it was chambered for the .225 Winchester..............Roy

Posts: 26 | Location: Henderson, Nv. USA | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They were made NW of me 45 miles at Cadillac ,Michigan.
Been out of business over 15 years.There aren't any of those actions around to buy that I know of.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
I believe there is at this time a company in Cody Wyoming that is making an exact replica of the Winchester High Wall Action.

blue

<SDH>
posted
In gunsmithing school at Trinidad we used to buy FBW flawed actions for about $60. They are a rather simplified version of a High Wall. I built two rifles on them and could rate them as OK. I would not use another because I find the Winchester HW so far superior.
Ballard Rifle in Cody makes and exact duplicate of the Winchester, all parts interchange with original actions. While I haven't used one because I still have original actions, I've seen many, seen them manufactured and used replacement parts in my original actions. The Ballard High Wall is tops in my opinion.
Somewhere in my files I have the original brochure for Falling Block Works. As I remember, the sear engages direcly on the hammer which I don't care for.