Notify
Tools

Broken M70 Follower Spring
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BW
posted
Gents,

I was unloading my M70 Classic stainless steel rifle today, and the follower and spring fell out. The spring had broken in the middle 'bend'.

Looks like it's time for a replacement, and I was wondering what sort of choice would be best? Rather than going with replacement Winchester parts, I'd like to use this opportunity to upgrade this part of my rifle. At a minimum, replacing the spring and cheap nylon follower would be in order. Perhaps even all the 'bottom metal', but that would have to clear the boss first. [Wink]

In the mean time, I'll just grab the follower and spring out of my 338WM (the broken rifle is a 416 Taylor) as it should work just fine.

Thanks!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
BW---

Springfield 03/03-A3 follower springs are great and are cheap. Get several while they still are.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BW:
...I'd like to use this opportunity to upgrade this part of my rifle...

Hey Brian, With upgrade being the key word, I'd recommend you contact Jim Wisner at:

www.precisemetalsmithing.com

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBelk:
BW---

Springfield 03/03-A3 follower springs are great and are cheap. Get several while they still are.

Jack,

Will these springs work in LEFTHAND M-70s like Brian's and mine?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
GeorgeS--

The 03/03A-3 springs will work in just about any long bolt action......in fact I don't know of one it wont work in but you may have to fit the width to the follower.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jack.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help gents. I'll look around for some Springfield springs. Any likely sources?

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote