New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bottom metal, how do they stack up?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see there are now about 4 suppliers of bottom metal for custom projects, in no particular order

• CNC Specialties (formerly Blackburn)
  • Sound Metal Products ( Duane Wiebe)
  • Sunny Hill
  • Williams Firearms

I know some have supply problems, some have seem to have solved those problems.

Putting supply issues aside, how do they stack up qualitywise as far as Mauser metal is concerned?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea! I'll be anxious to see the results ...Of course, maybe my opinion wouldn't count???Ha! I'll just put in a word about supply problems. Just recently, we had to change the radius on the inside corners of a complete run. Machinist put in the wrong numbers and rendered the entire 25 pieces scrap!

What can you say...Phooey! maybe..

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't PME/Wisner make bottom metal? I seem to recall him offering some, years ago. Maybe CRS though...
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Duane, you get a vote. Just one though.

Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I'll vote like a Democrat.

Sound Metal gets 10 votes.

One perc to Duane's guard units is that they are made of 1018. Some of the others use leaded stock because it's easier to machine.
It's softer and can sometimes be a problem when rust bluing.

Perc #2. All one piece...no welding, soldering or screwing the guard bow to the body.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned or handled all of the above companies bottom metal including Wisner and Duanes product is second to none.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
Doesn't PME/Wisner make bottom metal? I seem to recall him offering some, years ago. Maybe CRS though...
Regards, Joe

From what I can tell, I don't think Jim is making bottom metal any longer. He does post on here from time to time and maybe will pop in to answer. His Oberndorf bottom metal was very nice.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have M70 and Mauser 98 bottom metal from Duane and will tell you they are the best value and quality out there. I am awaiting him to finish the Enfield bottom metal and the '03 version of the M98. Duane and his team get my vote and endorsement!!!

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jawheeler:
I have owned or handled all of the above companies bottom metal including Wisner and Duanes product is second to none.

How?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
22WRF: For starters fit, finish delivery times, and price. I have never engraved one so I leave that to others.

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

How long until you make CZ bottom metal?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:

How?

I know the geometry of the BB units is not perfect in the long magnum size(too narrow). Wisner's units are perfect as far as width(following the 180 deg. stack rule). I am 99.9% sure Duane's is perfect width wise as he is a 180 deg. disciple.

I have two questions that I would like to have answered:

Who is/was using leaded stock? and

What is wrong with Sunny Hill? I have never owned one of their units, but it seems that they are always left out of the discussion even though they are always available.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uh...you had to ask! Right now, we;re machining a REPLACEMENT run..Yeah....replacement! We needed to sharpen the radius at the front inside of the box on 3MX, some stumbler got his coordinates wrong and took .025 too much at the front of the box...Maybe nobody would notice,,,but it just wasn't right. We scrapped the entire run.

We're running full tilt overtime and when done, will be able to offer PROPER bottom metal for everyting from the 300H&H to the 500 Jeff. the 500 Jeff holds three down with a clearance of about .035 for the bolt to ride over to stuff # 4 up the spout

During the same time, the short pot belly unit is being machined or 264 Win Mag to 416 Ruger.

And...we are machining the special Enfield as well as the 30-06 standard (1M)for Mauser 98.

And..with an extra hire, that's about all we can handle in on swell foop!

So...the CZ..we might shoe horn in the next run of four models. We have increased the production to 36 units per run (hopefully build up an inventory) Guess that answers all the anticipated questions?

Obviously, we have made a serious financial committment. Which we are willing to do since we have the faith that this is the best damn bottom metal obtainable at any price.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
quote:

How?

I know the geometry of the BB units is not perfect in the long magnum size(too narrow). Wisner's units are perfect as far as width(following the 180 deg. stack rule). I am 99.9% sure Duane's is perfect width wise as he is a 180 deg. disciple.

I have two questions that I would like to have answered:

Who is/was using leaded stock? and

What is wrong with Sunny Hill? I have never owned one of their units, but it seems that they are always left out of the discussion even though they are always available.

There's not a darn thing wrong with Sunny Hill units. They use leaded stock and this works just fine..no perfect!...it machines easily and blues well using the hot blue method. Rust blue..well, rust blue just doesn;t seem to "stick"

Last I heard Blackburn is using what he called "A-6" I think he meant "A-26" Not a leaded stock..relistically an inexpensive alloy...You machinists: correct me if I'm wrong.

We use 1018 described as "as low carbon drawn bar useful as a general purpose steel. Suitable for carburized parts that require a soft core and high surface hardness. Easily welded...this is the alloy Hagn uses on his blocks for his. single shot action...suitable for ANY shoulder fired cartridge,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could it have been A-36? That is hot rolled steel plate, typically used for structural members on machines and buildings. A36 is relatively inexspensive and easy to weld, but I'm not sure how it machines. There is also an A6 air hardening tool steel. A6 is fairly costly and I don't know why someone would use it for a non- hardened part. I've never heard of A26.
Greg

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not just PM maggie and ask her.

I can't see where the type of steel makes a whole lot of differnce for bottom metal, except for how it blues. (correct me if I am wrong)

I have seen many custom rifles that had Blackburn bottom metal that were beautifully blued.

Lots of Stainless Model 70s out there. Except for Williams, who makes bottom metal for them??

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lots of Stainless Model 70s out there. Except for Williams, who makes bottom metal for them??

Blackburn - I am using a set on my 300WM.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maggie says Ted is using A36 steel for his bottom metal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

How?

Sorry 22WRF, I'm not sure I understand your question?

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

How?

To: 22WRF

Maybe this is the answer to your question. Perhaps you just want me to qualify my statement.

I currently have Blackburn bottom metal on one of my custom 7x57's. I purchased it from the gunsmith that built the rifle.

I recently purchased new Jerry Fisher rounded bottom metal for a project currently under construction at my gunsmith's shop. (I own it but I haven't handled it yet) It is my understanding that it may have been produced by Ted Blackburn but I can't confirm that and I don't care to.

I have Wisner drop box bottom metal on my custom Mauser .404 Jeffery. At least that is where the gunsmith said it came from I did not purchase it directly from Wisner.

I owned a custom pre-64 Model 70 30-06 with Williams bottom metal. I sold the gun several years back.

I have purchased Sunny Hill bottom metal from Brownell's and I also own one of their very nice cartridge followers. I had a chance to visit with these guys at Shot Show in Orlando this year. I handled a varity of high quality products they make and they were very pleasent to visit with.

At the SCI show I visited with Stuart Satterlee and handled his guns and bottom metal. (very nice guy to talk to)

At the ACGG Show in Reno I had the opportunity to handle and examine the bottom metal by Sound Metal Products (Duane Wiebe).

I have no complaints about any of the aftermarket bottom metal that I have listed above. All of these gentlemen are artists in their trade. It is just my opinion that the product made by Duane is as good as any of them, if not better than some of them. I think that is what Recoil Rob was looking for. An opinion. So there it is.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff

I was just curious about any objective differenced you noticed that caused you to form your opinion. For example, was the machining rougher in one rather than the others. Was the fit to an action better in one than another. Could you tell if the bluing was better on one type of steel or another. Did you have more trouble feeding rounds from one over another. That is what I was asking.