New
Find
Notify
Tools

7MM-08 MODEL 7 MAGAZINE LIMITATION
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HELLO: I HAVE CUSTOMIZED MODEL 7 ACTION WITH 22' SHILEN AND THUMBHOLE STOCK. THE LOADS IT LIKES THE BEST ARE ONES THAT RUN 2.880 AND THAT NEIGHBORHOOD. PROBLEM IS, THEY WON'T FIT IN THE MAGAZINE UNTIL 2.8300 AND THIS WON'T GROUP NEARLY AS WELL ON MOST BULLET LOADS. IF I LOAD THEM LONGER AND FEED 1 SHELL AT A TIME THEY WILL PRINT HOLE ON TOP OF HOLE. WHAT CAN BE DONE WITHOUT MESSING THE RIFLE UP? THANKS FOR THE REPLY'S.

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Try a bullet with a different ogive. A bullet that is more rounded at the tip will put it closer to the lands with a shorter overall length.

It's also easier to read messages if you don't use all caps, if possible.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I haven't looked close at a Model 7 but, see if there is space at the rear of the magazine cutout that would allow a Model 700 SA magazine box to be installed. If so, it shouldn't be too much of a job to mill the magazine well back and cut the the bolt stop back to allow the bolt some more rearward travel. The only thing I can think of offhand to queer this whole idea is if the Model 7 trigger sits too far forward like the parent receiver, the 600 Mohawk.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Try a bullet with a different ogive. A bullet that is more rounded at the tip will put it closer to the lands with a shorter overall length.

It's also easier to read messages if you don't use all caps, if possible.

The Model Seven and the short Model 700 mag boxes are the same length. Nothing to gain there. I know the short 700 mag box can be stretched to the rear, I doubt a Model Seven can be done as the trigger is closer to the box than the short 700.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a 'smith cut the barrel off by .10 and rechamber. You can also specify that the throat not be cut full depth. For the life of me, I don't understand why manufacturers don't make magazines long enough to accept cartridges seated to touch the lands. Guess too many of us have bought into the short actions for handling.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
My short Rem 700 mag box will allow a 2.900 OAL after lengthening.I use a a wild cat 7mm-08 SSAI
it uses a longer neck than the regular 7mm-08Ai.

I actually modified a long Rem mag box and rebend the rear corners and used the long follower spring.

The chamber and throat allows me to load 10 thou into the lands with most common bullets without infringing on the case volume.

I shoot mostly 139 and 140 gr bullets and for big stuff the 175gr Seni pointed bullets.This rifle is a fabulous shooter with an H-S Precision barrel and stock. I toke some big plains game in Africa with this set up.

What is so good about it, it is one of a kind and it is a wild cat of my own design. No it is not a magnum. SS stands for Sore shoulder. clap

Fred M.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesGet a single shot follower.

The .308, .358, 7-08, .260 and yes even the .243 would come out of the SO-SO category and becme great cartridges if they had longer necks and were used in sufficiantly long actions instead of the silly shorts. Eeker

Outrage! Outrage ! We don't need no stiking outrage. Razzerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do your bullets have exposed lead tips?It may sound silly,but I have seen people file the lead tips down to allow the rounds to fit the magazine.You will alter the ballistic co-efficient slightly but it is a simple solution that will work.After all you can still practise with the full length rounds and need only file down enough for hunting.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snider700:
HELLO: I HAVE CUSTOMIZED MODEL 7 ACTION WITH 22' SHILEN AND THUMBHOLE STOCK. THE LOADS IT LIKES THE BEST ARE ONES THAT RUN 2.880 AND THAT NEIGHBORHOOD. PROBLEM IS, THEY WON'T FIT IN THE MAGAZINE UNTIL 2.8300 AND THIS WON'T GROUP NEARLY AS WELL ON MOST BULLET LOADS. IF I LOAD THEM LONGER AND FEED 1 SHELL AT A TIME THEY WILL PRINT HOLE ON TOP OF HOLE. WHAT CAN BE DONE WITHOUT MESSING THE RIFLE UP? THANKS FOR THE REPLY'S.

Somebody out there manufactures a slightly longer magazine box for the Model 7. Ijust can't recall who it is at the moment.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stubble Jumper.
Good point about lead point they also get hammered in the mag box notwithstanding a longer box.

My usual procedure is to load one in the chamber and one in the mag. The point of the shell in mag box rides above the box wall and faces the loading ramp, so the recoil does not damage the point.

Yes it is only a two shooter, but I rarely ever need more than one shot. But a second shot comes in handy at times.

I also use the Ruger#1 often and latly a a revamped Handi 257 Roberts sofar with that one I only shot gophers with it but I think it will kill deer Roll Eyes.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote