What is involved in fitting a Win 70 style safety to a mark x bolt

J D

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
First, you will either need a 3-position which has its own shroud or get a military 98 shroud and have a 2-position safety fitted. It can't be fitted to the Mark X shroud. Other than that, I assume it's about the same as any other 98.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JD, I noticed that no one has tried to answer your request. One reason is the liability involved with this work. I would suggest that you have a pro fit a new shroud with the Mod. 70 safety. All parts, the cocking piece, the sear, and the safety has to operate in proper order with the correct amount of tolerance for each part in order to be safe. A two position safety can be fitted if a 98 shroud is used. Be safe and let someone help you with this project.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Mark X, Would like to know more about it, a 375 H&H that has been Ackley Improved.

It has been coated with black coating of some kind. Has a model 70 style safety, 2 or 3 position, not sure which yet, and a Timney trigger.

Holds 3 down in Magazine, 4 total, floor plate release is in the trigger guard.

It has what looks like a factory fiberglass synthetic stock, which the previous owner had left at a 15 1/8 " pull, and I chopped of to a more normal length for me.

Seems to feed and function smooth and flawlessly.

Waiting for dies and new brass to form, then play with it as is for a while, and then maybe rebarrel to ? Nuther project.

My devious mind is working overtime, if I like the 375 AI I can Improve my Model 70 and rebarrel the Mark X to all sorts of whatever, Lott, 416 Rem Mag, whatever and have it chome plated with gold trigger!

It's marked Mark X Alexandria Interarms Manchester. so what is it. Is the stock, coating, safety, and trigger, factory or add ons ?

Appreciate any info, thanks Wayne

Posts: 253 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Fitting a 3-position safety on the Mark X requires grinding on the cocking piece. Best to send it off to Gentry http://www.gentrycustom.com/threeposition.html
and let him provide and fit the safety -- S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
South 40

I think it is a 3 position safety, after fooling with it. the detent is not real positive in the middle Position.

Just wondering if it came from the factory that way or if a lot of after market work was done to this gun.

Thanks Wayne

Posts: 253 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The Mark X never came with a 3 position safety as far as I know. So my guess is after market. Mark X made a factory 375 just like Daly does now.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote