New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rust bluing relined barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am having a .22 single shot relined, the liner will almost certainly be epoxied into place or locktited. Afterwards, I will repolish the barrel (it is VERY rough) and then rust blue it myself.

I am worried that rust bluing may adversely affect the epoxy because of the heat of the boiling.

Is this a problem?

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think so. Most of the epoxies don't melt till well over 300 degrees F.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not solder it in?

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Why not solder it in?

Jim,
I am not doing the relining - the smiths I use prefer the epoxy method and their results to date are hard to argue with. I have one soldered relined rifle and it shoots poorly - no make that two and the other shoots very well. Forgot about the Martini. But most use epoxy and the results have been excellent.
Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brent, it will not bother it. I have rust blued barrels that had bands etc. attached with Acraglass and never had any problems.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rust blue probably won't damage the glass, but hotblue will eat solder up plenty quick, I lost a quarter rib on one ocassion and had epoxied barrel bands come loose from hot saltz blue...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote