THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Husqvarna "MOD 900" action with a barrel marked with "SJR" ???

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husqvarna "MOD 900" action with a barrel marked with "SJR" ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted
I recently purchased a custom Husky built off of a MOD 900 action and the underside of the barrel has (what looks like) "SJR" stamped on the underside of the barrel. Pictures below...

Anyone know who "SJR" is or who the barrel manufacturer is?

Can anyone give me some information on the Husqvarna M900 action? Best I know is that the action is one of the last Husqvarna produced in the early 70's before discontinuing their rifles.

For what it's worth...the numbers on the bolt, trigger and trigger guard match...but not the barrel

Thanks.

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The m1900 ation is the most popular ation to build custom rifles in sweden older m1900 has steel bottom metal newer has one of light metal. Carl Gustaf took over the manufactoring in early 70s and made some 1900 and some newer 2000 model. You can still by m1900 rifle or action but made is italy.

This maker uses italy made actions. www.vovapen.com

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
The one I have has an aluminum floorplate and triggerguard with an anodized black finish.
I hope this isn't a stupid question but is there a difference between the M1900 and M900?
Thanks!

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
but is there a difference between the M1900 and M900?
Husqvarna M900 is same as 1640 action but made for export to USA.

http://www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I was thinking my "MOD 900" was a variation of the 1900 because it's push fed and resembles the Remington 700 style. I would like to learn more about Huskies but I've had trouble finding information.
Now, if I can figure out the maker mark on my barrel....

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to learn more about Huskies but I've had trouble finding information.

If you could read just go and look http://www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml

There you could find very much information of all Husqvarna shotguns, rifles and combos made in Sweden

quote:
I can figure out the maker mark on my barrel....
Is there any special reason to know or just a curiocity ?

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
I'm just curious about the barrel because there are no other markings on the barrel.

I read your last post and looked at the website you suggested but there is nothing on there about a "MOD 900".

If you could see the pictures I posted at the beginning of the post, everything on the action points to a 1900. If you told me the "MOD 900" is a 1900 action that was exported for custom builds...that would make more sense..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ever herd of a mod900 it looks like a 1900.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell from your pics but that rifle doesn't appear to be the CRF version. If so, it is NOT a 1600/1640 variant. It is the later 1900 based model.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read your last post and looked at the website you suggested but there is nothing on there about a "MOD 900".

Read more carefully; there is export model N900, described as:

Calibers: 243 Win / 270 Win / 308 Win / 30-06 Spg / 8x57JS, 5 round magazine.

52cm round with step indexed sights for 100, 200 and 300m. Stamped 'Norrahammars Bruk AB, Norrahammar

Made in years 1957-1959

Checkered forestock and flat bottom pistol grip

Husqvarna 1640 action, stamped 'Hva action'. Made for export to USA.

There is export models with 1900 action too but their export model name is 1970. All of them has folding rear sights.

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
I read about the N900 you're talking about but mine is stamped "Husqvarna Vapenfabriks AB Sweden" and the bolt shroud on my rifle doesn't look like any of the N900 Norrahammers I've seen...? Also, I found out the serial number on my rifle makes it among the last actions built in Husqvarna...which is why I believe it's a 1900 action with a MOD 900 stamp...? I appreciate all the information you're providing but it doesn't seem to explain the rifle I have.

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
OK, maybe yours is a kind of "transition model..?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Igorrock: Thanks for posting the very useful link on Husqvarna's civil firearms production! I'm sure that, like similar sites I've seen on Sakos, it may not be absolutely complete, but it is an extremely valuable asset for anyone researching Husqvarnas.

I have just purchased, but not yet taken delivery on, a bolt rifle represented as a Husqvarna 4100. I don't see such designation listed on the chart and am wondering if you know which action this is. As I say, I have not yet taken delivery, but the photos of it appear to be a conventional '98 Mauser-type action. Since the rifle is an extremely lightweight model, I expect that the bottom metal is aluminum alloy, but don't know that for certain.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
I found the following information during my Husqvarna research from an auction listing. I can't gaurantee the accuracy or if it applies directly to your rifle but thought you might be interested...
"HUSQVARNA model 4100 lightweight rifle, badged and sold in Sears stores during the 1950's as JC Higgins model 51-L "L" means lightweight. It weighs only 6.5 lbs. and has 22" barrel. They stopped making the JC Higgins brand name in 1962"

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
...also found this piece of information on "bluebookofgunvalues.com...

"HUSQVARNA RIFLES: BOLT ACTION SERIES 4100 LIGHTWEIGHT -
.243 Win., .270 Win., .30-06, 7x57mm, or .308 Win. cal., HVA Mauser action, 20 1/2 in. barrel, open sights, lightweight walnut stock, pistol grip, Schnabel forend. Mfg. 1954-72."

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
This may be a little strange suggestion (or just plain completely weird) but you might want to research the internet for info on the Moisin Nagant Model 28/30 history...a Finn version of that rifle.

IIRC, it mentions there that many of the Finnish Moisins were re-dos of Russian Moisins captured from Russia in one of their mutual scuffles..

My 28/30 has similar markings on the top of the front receiver ring, indicating it was refurbished and rebarreled by SAKO. As the Swedes and Finns have always been rather close commercially, who knows....

They did good enough work that the Finns considered their 28/30 their most accurate version, NOT the M39. (It also has the heaviest barrel of the Finnish Moisins.)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple4:
...also found this piece of information on "bluebookofgunvalues.com...

"HUSQVARNA RIFLES: BOLT ACTION SERIES 4100 LIGHTWEIGHT -
.243 Win., .270 Win., .30-06, 7x57mm, or .308 Win. cal., HVA Mauser action, 20 1/2 in. barrel, open sights, lightweight walnut stock, pistol grip, Schnabel forend. Mfg. 1954-72."

That sounds about right. This rifle has a barrel that was represented to me as being 21" and sits in a custom stock built by a stockmaker who was active in the 1960's. The action appears to be a conventional 98-type. My dealer called to tell me it had come in and described it as "really, really light, with a gorgeous stock". The lettering on the barrel is very sharp, but the blue is so polished that I suspect it may have been reblued when the stock work was done. As light as it is I'm almost sure that the bottom metal must be alloy. At any rate, I'm in great anticipation of picking it up in the next few days.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote