New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heading for the freezer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am bedding a Rem7 into a fiberglass stock and have created my first gluein bedding job [Frown] . Could not figure out what happened until I tested the release agent that came in the kit and found out it dosent work worth a crap (bad batch [Confused] ). Put some release on a spare piece of steel, applied epoxy and ended up with a lump of epoxy that had to be sanded off. Sooooo....How long in the freezer?

I am sure its the release agent, all angle/holes plugged with clay, trigger assembly pulled, headless inletting screws are out, and the recoil lug was taped on front, bottom and sides. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
ToddC--

Overnight in the freezer.....but what about the IMPORTANT part of your post.

What release agent were you using? What kit did it come with? Why didn't you use one of the hundreds of things that you KNOW works?

I'm puzzled how a release agent can be a "bad batch". It's a chemical. It either is or it isn't wax or grease. I can't figure any way a batch of wax is suddenly not going to be wax anymore. [Smile]

Are you sure you didn't go past half depth? A freezer won't fix THAT problem!

[ 05-11-2003, 16:54: Message edited by: JBelk ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply JBelk. I am sure it didnt go past half depth, I was rebedding just the recoil lug on a pillar bed. I usually just use Johnson paste wax and marinetex but was out of both so I used industroweld and a bottle of release from a brownells steelbed kit. The kit is probably 2-3 years old but has been stored in a cool dry spot. The bottle was a new bottle that has never been opened. For the first couple rifles I did I used the steelbed kits and had great results so the release failure suprised me as well. If I figure out more on the release or discover some bonehead mistake I made I will let you know.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have use all kinds of brownells release agent some of it years old. Never had any trouble with it. I am wondering if you had enough on, covered every spot the clue touched. I brought a clued in rifle once for a very good price. I found a can of fiber glass mold cleaner at the local hard ware store. I soaked the stock and action with that. After a day I was able to pop it out.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote