New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle barrel manufactures question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used McGowen barrels? I need two .303 barrels .311 bore. for a project. I was wondering how the company was to work with.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of the betteer second rate barrels out there, only eclipsed by ER Shaw.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have two and would buy a third. I have complaints.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

one of the betteer second rate barrels out there, only eclipsed by ER Shaw.

What is it with McGowen that causes them to be considered second rate?

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McGowen has rebarreled three of my rifles and I have a third on the way. I'm happy with the quality of their barrels and with the installation they did for me. Their customer service is good also. When one of the barrels they installed for me wasn't the contour I wanted, they recontoured it for me at no extra charge. Regardless of whether it was my or their fault for the miscommunication on the contour, they took care of it.

By the way, the gun shoots just as good after the recontour.

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
I had them screw one on a 77 action in 257 Ackley about 25 years ago and have been more than happy. I wanted a little bit of freebore in it and Harry talked me right out of it. Excellent advice

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses I will give them a try.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krieger. There is no substitute...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
Has anyone used McGowen barrels? I need two .303 barrels .311 bore. for a project. I was wondering how the company was to work with.

I have used at least a couple dozen and all have been good barrels. Only one had a bore which was not as straight as it could have been and sunsequent to that one, I've not gotten another which was substandard. The barrels are properly stress relieved and do not warp when contoured. Internal finish is very good.
A 308 12 twist barrel I have on a prone rifle shoots under .5 moa. A fast twist 22/250 about 5/8 (this is the curved one).
If I am wanting to build a top level BR or "F" class rifle, I would go with one of the recognized makers of barrels for these purposes (Hart, Krieger, Lilga, Pac Nor, Shilen) but for a hunting rifle, I am quite pleased with the McGowan Barrels. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3783 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
Krieger. There is no substitute...

Agreed--use them for competition rifles on down!!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just had to send one back to Krieger. Never had to send a Lilja back. BUT, each is different and to each his own, but E.R. Shaw, no way.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote