New
Find
Notify
Tools

bedding new rifle stock
 Login/Join

<Lee in OH>
posted
I am ready to install a rebarreled Rem. 700 action into a Boyd's stock. I have checked the fit and barrel clearance. Is it redundant to both pillar bed and glass bed a rifle, or would a good glass bed job do the trick. I have glass bedded a few of my rifles before if that affects your answer. Thanks in advance.

------------------
"OHHHHHHH I HATES VARMINTS!!!!" -Yosemitie Sam

visit my home page at.....

http://www.geocities.com/hogshooter_2000

<Don G>
posted
I don't think it's redundant to pillar and glass bed, I think that's the definition of bedding. If you pillar bed the action the geometry is set in stone. I bed the bottom metal as well. I use pillars and steel bed, and torque to 65 in-lbs.

With your laminate stock you probably should not go above 25-40 in-lbs unless you pillar bed it.

Let us know how you like the Boyd's stock after you finish it.

Nice website, how far is Warren from Mason, Ohio? I'd like to go chuck hunting sometime!

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just completed a Boyd's JRS Classic for a 35 Whelen Rem 700. It came out great. I bought the semi-finished which came fully (and tightly) inletted with a 100 grit exterior finish for $95 and received it in a week and a half. I did a lot of reshaping as it was "fat" all over and hollowed the butt as it is very heavy. I bedded the recoil lug and tang (no pillars), rubbed a bunch of Pro Custom Oil in and it looks and shoots great. About 12 hours worth of work to finish.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Ed,

Thanks for the report, we are always looking for unbiased first-hand evaluations.

Don

<DuaneinND>
posted
If it was up to me, I would pillar bed. You have already made an effort to improve your firearm, why stop a little short of the finish line?

<matt wolf>
posted
hey Ed, just how "fat" was the JRS? how far did you take it down? I'm trying to decide if this stock is the easiest/most cost effective way to get a Rem MT rifle like laminate.