New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 to 9.3
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
since the 338 is a magnum action, can a rifle so chambered be rebarelled to a 9.3x62 without major bolt modification?

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The .338 WM is a short magnum that fits a std. length action (= .30-06), so a conversion to the 9,3x62 is not a problem. But, why would you rebarrel between calibers so close in performance ?

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre......It is just a question. as i get a little older i notice that i just get questions. i'm not always motivated to do something, just gathering information. who knows......anyway, thanks for the input.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I hate to contradict, but the converstion will require a good deal of work. If it's a push feed, it wont extract, and if it's a CRF the extractor will need to be replaced, the bolt replaced or "bushed" (bad idea), and you will have potential feeding problems, as the action has been created/modified to feed the fatter magnums.
The 9,3x62 is basically a 3006 case. you could make some dummies in 3006 and see for yourself what happens. Take the bolt out, and with a DUMMY ROUND see how the boltface would interact with the smaller round.
In short, 358 norma, or 375 chattfield/taylor would be perfect, but the 9,3x62 will just be a hassle.
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about the 9.3x64? That would stand a better chance of feeding correctly, as the case is a bit bigger than the '06 case. Not sure what you would do about the ~.040 oversize bolt head though.

I second Jeffe's idea, of the 358 Norma. But you won't gain anything.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 9.3x62 based on a 30-06 case? Which if that was the case this conversion would be a headache. Since it already was a 338 I think a 375 Taylor would be neat. More than likely it would feed just fine and you wouldnt have alot of money into action modifications.

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Christian>
posted
The 9,3*62 case is not based on the 30-06 case, it�s a Mauser original design and there are small differences in the size of the case webb and tapering, I know a lot of people make 9,2*62 cases from 30-06 but that doesn�t mean that tey are the same.

Chris..

one of us
posted Hide Post
welllllllllll....i was afraid of this. the situation is that i have found myself in possession of three 338s. i have no idea why. anyway, i also have a converted 98k in a 9.3x62. i like it very much and wanted to convert this left handed 338 into one. i'm not really interested in any other cartridge. i was just hoping this might work. i feared that there might be bolt problems. oh well, another idea bites the dust. thanks to all for the input.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Bill,

You'll be best off selling/trading for something based on an -06 / X57 as a donor for a 9.3X62.

The 338 rim is .532", the X62 is .470". It's not that hard opening up a bolt and extractor for the larger rim, but it's a bugger putting the metal back [Frown]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything can be done if you got the bucks, but you cannot make a 9.3x62 from a 338 Win because of the bolt face and the magazine, without replacing the complete bolt body, tigging up the rails and using new bottom metal, very expensive.

A neat conversion would be the 9.3x338 which is a fine wildcat, if you don't mind wildcats...It is an easy conversion and easy loading with plenty of brass available...It will equal or surpass the 9.3x64..

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote