New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oberndorf Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yesterday I bought an Oberndorf Mauser large ring 98 in 7x57, could this be the original barrel? or has it been changed? It has a step in the barrel and appears to be a military? The action is the finest quality 98 that I have seen. I don't have it in front of me to give detailed markings as the Feds have me on delay. I have a CCW, formerly held an FFL and don't even have a ticket on my drivers license, yet I get delayed every time.
Any info would be much appreciated.
Stepchild

[ 10-14-2003, 19:59: Message edited by: stepchild 2 ]

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
stepchild

Post some pictures and information about stamps on the rifle, then someone will be able to tell you more about the rifle and it's history [Smile] [Smile]

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,
I'll pick up the rifle later in the week and post more information about the markings. The rifle has been sporterized by an amateur,but it is salvageable, the metal has the original finish on it.(at least what is left of it) Thanks for the reply.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,
I'll pick up the rifle later in the week and post more information about the markings. The rifle has been sporterized by an amateur,but it is salvageable, the metal has the original finish on it.(at least what is left of it) Thanks for the reply.
Stepchild
Through no fault of mine this post appeared twice.

[ 10-14-2003, 22:14: Message edited by: stepchild 2 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,
I picked up the rifle today. I don't have a digital camera so i'll do the best I can to describe it. On the left rail it says;
DEUTSCHE WAFFEN-UND
MUNITIONSFABRIKEN OBERNDORFAN.

It has a crest that sort of looks kike a starburst with two circles, one inside the other with small stars between the circles,also there are several larger stars in the center.
The serial # is 9400 and the letter B with a circle around it. This is on the left side of the receiver ring.
On the right side of R Ring it says MOD 1908
I see no markings on the barrel. The bottom metal is similar to those found on VZ's and has a hole through it on the forward edge of the trigger guard.
Any information on this rifle would be very much appreciated.
Stepchild

posted Hide Post
You have a Brazilian mod 1908 rifle and it should be 7 x 57, if all the numbers match you have a good rifle.

Posts: 15 | Location: SE North Carolina | Registered: 19 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could it be the inscription Model 1909?. If so it�s a regular Argentine Mauser, Modelo 1909, which is nothing more than a superb 1898

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should have posted: a regular Argentine Mauser, modified from 7.65 Argentine to 7 x 57 Mauser.
Due to your uncomplete description, I can�t clarify more. A Brazilian Mauser perhaps is the better shot because its original caliber was 7 x 57.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it has the bottom metal with a hole in the front part of the triggerguard, it is a Mod. 1908 Brazilian. The 1909 Argentine has a hinged Oberndorf commercial style triggerguard / floorplate.

Nice rifle. One of the best made 98 Mausers. If you plan on parting this out to build a sporter, please e-mail me. I need some parts for one (I am doing the opposite, taking an action intended for a sporter and making it stock military).
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied,
I guess I have a 1908 Brazilian. At any rate it's a nice action, and the nicest military that I have seen.
Todd,
Sorry, but i'm hanging on to this one, besides it's too far over the edge for your needs.
Does anyone know where I can find bottom metal for a 1909 Argentine? Also need a set of dies, 7/8x14"(7x57)if anyone has a set for sale.
Thanks
Dennis

one of us
posted Hide Post
BobW,
Nothing matches on this rifle. It is in a Herters stock and possibly sold by them at one time, who knows? This rifle appears to have been shot very little, the bore is very nice, possibly rebarreled?
Thanks
Dennis