Find
Notify
Tools

Well I dodged a bullet (figuratively).
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of onespeedbiker
posted
I bought a Savage AXIS ll in 308. The Bushnell Kaspa scope (and horrible rings and bases) are probably the weakest parts of this low cost, but very accurate, rifle. After one of the 2 piece Weaver bases came loose, I cleaned up the screws and female threads and used some blue loctite; one of the weak points of the bases are the very small allen head for the screws (which require a corresponding very small allen wrench). Any way I ordered some new parts including a set of Leupold QRW bases. However when I tried to remove the OEM bases, one of the allen screw heads (on which I used locktite) stripped out. Here is where I lucked out. I have a little Grabit tool I bought (but have never used) for such an occasion; the tool has a reverse rotation bit on one side and a small reverse threaded conical stud on the other. So as I was drilling out the screw, it suddenly unscrewed it self due to the reversed rotation of the bit, and I didn't even need the reverse threaded (easy-out) side. A few minutes later, I installed the new bases, new rings and new scope. I went to a local range and after sighting in the scope, I shot my best 10 shot group, all inside a 2" bullseye at 100 yards; I'm still working on some loads that I hope will be more accurate, but that belongs in a different sub-forum.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Those rifles are usually pretty accurate but the tupperware stock hurts them.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
weaver makes a pitcanny rail for the base.... at $13.. its a great investment... the long screws go in the rear.... (learned that the hard way)...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
weaver makes a pitcanny rail for the base.... at $13.. its a great investment... the long screws go in the rear.... (learned that the hard way)...

jim,

might you have a part #? i couldn't come up with the $13 model.

thanks,

craig

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote