New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boyd's Stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone out there use the Boyd's walnut stocks?
What do you think of them and did you do any upgrades? Do you think the upgrades are worth doing? Thank you for your opinions.
Pegleg

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a boyd's laminated stock for a client last year and was severely underwhelmed. Inletting was the worst I have ever seen. I would not buy anything from them again unless there were just no other options.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have only used one walnut one. it was brought to me by a client to inlet his metal work. it wasn't all that bad but the wood was very plain although nice colored.

i've come to the conclusion that all of the makers of supplied wood stocks have problems and it is a crap shoot. if it is a true drop in you have gaps to deal with. if it is semi inletted it will be anything from very roughed out to almost done. a constant is that all of the fancy wood is over graded for what you get.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
I used a boyd's laminated stock for a client last year and was severely underwhelmed. Inletting was the worst I have ever seen. I would not buy anything from them again unless there were just no other options.

I must have gotten lucky. I recently used one of their "VIP" laminates for a MK X Mauser and it was damn near a drop in with very close inletting.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought two of there stocks in both cases the barrel channel was crooked and inletting was poor. They would not replace them, after two chances I will not buy from them again.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1504 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Have built out 4 Boyds when they first came out with the 'JRS' style. Three Win Mdl 70's and one Rem 700. Easy fit with little work required on inletting. My only problem with them was in the finishing. Since the laminates are birch and the resin is HARD I had a bad time sanding them out. Only other laminates I've built were 2 Mdl 70's on David Miller/Curt Crum semi inlets. Fit was in both cases almost perfect except I lost 1 round in the 375 H&H as they use their own mag boxes I believe and the Winchester box had to be cut down approx 1/8" in height.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the one I used had the barrel channel considereably offset from the action inletting. Even the action tang inletting was soemhow out of kilter from the rest of the action. The bottom metal was many degrees out from both the action and the barrel. So i had 3 components and all 3 pointed in a totally different direction. Many, many gaps and I had to just cut the differences in half and live with it.

This job was for a relative or I never would have used a semi-inlet anyway. If I ever do another job for a friend and it involves a semi-inlet, it will not be Boyd's unless there are no other options. He is happy with it and loves the rifle, but i am not.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i've got a jrs sporter in pepper laminate ordered for an 1917 enfield.... i was concerned that the bottom profile wouldnt' be the same to fit the bottom metal.... after much conversation, they sent pics of a stock... i ordered, knowing that the barrel channel will be different from my shilen profile...2 months wait, so i'll know in about another 6 weeks...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with them is the inletting is always overcut. I makes for a easy inletting, almost drop in, but terrible gaps. Fine for a truck gun, but not a custom stock by any means. Remember you get what you pay for.
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are good for cutting into knife handles and predator calls. I have two, one is Okay, the other is getting sectioned for the above projects. I will not buy another.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I bought one once. The inletting was huge! When they say drop in fit, they mean it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto to TC1. Same thing happened to me. I WONT buy from them again.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote