New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 721 Feeding Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've just acquired a 721 in 300 H&H. With three down in the magazine, it will not feed the second cartridge. When feeding the 2nd cartridge, i.e., with two in the magazine,the cartridge being fed is on the left side, the cartridge base is too low to contact the bolt face as it passes through. It always feeds OK when the cartridge being feed in on the right side.

what's the solution? A different magazine follower? As it is now, if used for hunting, I'd only put one cartridge in the magazine to ensure reliable feeding.

Thanks,
Phil

Posts: 134 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 24 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something is interfering with the left cartridge rising high enough. Look for burrs on the top of the sheet steel magazine as well as the left side of the mag being bent in. Also observe the left cartridge and how it contacts the left feed lip on the receiver. Look for interference points. A different follower may be indicated failing all else. One that provides contact on the right and left hand bottom rounds when in the mag.

Take three rounds and rubber band them together. Hold them as they would sit in the mag. Using calipers measure the width of the stack at the belt and the shoulder. Then add .030 to those. That should be the approximate box dimensions at the rear and front respectively.

Posts: 3776 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you using reloads or factory? If reloads check the bullet depth in the case.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
First things first. Is this particular 721 original? Originally chambered for the 300 H&H?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is an original 721 300 H&H. I checked for burrs, etc. I found by changing the position of the magazine follower leaf spring where it inserts into the follower by pulling it aft as far as it would go without disconnecting, that it changed the angle of the upper push, and now the 2nd cartridge will feed OK.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Posts: 134 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 24 October 2007Reply With Quote