New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anyone Here Know .....
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Where I can obtain drawings of stocks for various actions?

I mean drawing where they show the cut outs for the various actions with dimensions.

Any help would by much appreciated.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68796 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where I can obtain drawings of stocks for various actions?

Saeed, I can not help you, I have a friend that has a North Star duplicator with 80 patterns. We have been going back and forth for years and now he wants to sell his complete machine shop including the duplicator. He started out wanting $5,000 for the duplicator.

My wife will not spring for any of it.

I know this does not help, there is a smith in Nashville. Tenn. that wants information about the duplicator.

Equipment: He has so many machines it is easier to walk across the top of the machines than it is to take the isles.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We do have a great duplicator.

I have used it quite a bit years ago, then gave it to a cousin of mine.

The thing is we get some actions brought in with no stocks.

We do have stock blanks which we do finished stocks from.

What I am looking for are drawings with dimensions, so I can get any wood working individual to make suitable stocks.

Rather than one of us working from scratch.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68796 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't think what you want exists; stocks have always been made from hand made patterns on pantograph and mechanical duplicating machines. The first stock duplicators were used at Army Arsenals in about 1830; the Blanchard machine. Major factories have also used tape driven machines, but I have never seen any drawings of stock inletting in the wild.
Computer generated 3D programs are a relatively new thing and no one is going to make their programs available for free.
I think you are going to have to start your own database, using existing stocks, and scan them to make CNC programs. And use existing stocks as patterns; I often make patterns using Acraglas and bondo, and your action and barrel. You already know how to do that.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Q?

If you can make a lefty stock from a righty can't you trace the action and cut the inletting?

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alvin Linden's "Restocking a rifle" (pg 11) shows a rather simple bedding gage.. Personally never gave it much serious consideration..but...might could be elaborated upon.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think a good draftsman could do a reverse drawing starting with the action.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He didn't want to start from scratch; and paying a draftsman to do this by hand will be very inefficient. Possible; but....
And even after you have the drawings, are you going to pay someone to cut inletting by hand? From blueprints? $$$ I am assuming you want to make more than one stock; otherwise you would just hand inlet an action.
All of this is why we use patterns on pantographs, or for mass production, scanned dimensions for CNC routers.
Rich; no.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know how much he is willing to pay.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote