Notify
Tools

Solvent resistant LocTite??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
Here's my problem:

Browning Buckmark, the front screw that holds the sight bridge on keeps working loose. You would think that the little .22 wouldn't have enough recoil for that, but I digress...

LocTite blue (medium strength) works for about 1 range trip...so I think that I am getting some Hoppe's into the threads during cleaning and it eats up the LocTite.

I don't trust the high strength threadlockers to release the little screws...it is only what, a 3/32" hex screw...seems too easy to strip. That's also why I don't just torque it down...flimsy little thing to my eye.

What threadlocker is solvent resistant, if any, and removable without a torch? Suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CDH,

I’m not a big fan of thread locking products...but they do have a purpose.

Loctite makes a #290 medium-high strength Green that is a bit heavier duty than Blue but still can be removed with normal tools. Just be careful to get the #290 and NOT the #609 or the #620...which are also Green but will weld that little screw in there for good.

I would think that as long as you didn’t soak it in solvent it would not be effected by it.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fingernail polish

also a little bit of heat will unlocktite locktite screw.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Thanks...nothing like a loose sight screw to mess up a lunchtime trip to the range to work off some frustrations! Thankfully I never go with just 1 gun.

I also don't want to use the high strength stuff because it seems to build up and require scraping off...even when you heat it. Since the bridge on the Buckmark needs to be removed for a proper cleaning...that is just more gunk to clean out.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote