THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which scope base/ring combination do you prefer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted
For a long action model 70?

Also, I've wondered about the Ruger 77, but I really don't like Ruger rings. Any options there?

I need to keep the scope as low as possible; I like smaller scopes and want to keep things simple.

Thanks!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friar,

If Talley makes rings for the Model 70 LA, that's the route to go.
As for the Ruger Model 77; when Warne was in the business of making rings for that rifle, that is what I used. But, they are no longer making Ruger 77 rings... Sad... So, I have on back order some Leupold rings. Not sure who else makes aftermarket rings for Ruger 77's, but Talley never has make them. Mine are on back order because I need 30 mm rings, and Brownell's was out of stock on them. However, if you like Leupold rings, as I do, you might look at buying them. They are very well made.
Just wish Talley would add Ruger rings to their line-up. Talley's are in a class by themselves.

Don

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
There are several manufactureres that make a ring that attachs to a Ruger.
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=10&Ca...=657***698***8582***

For mine I bought a Burris converter and then I could use any weaver type ring

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
There are several manufactureres that make a ring that attachs to a Ruger.
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=10&Ca...=657***698***8582***

For mine I bought a Burris converter and then I could use any weaver type ring

Ramrod,

That's good info. I didn't know that Burris made rings for the 77. They should be very good too.
Thanks for the link.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Friar, I prefer Conetrol. I get the custom bases with the hunter rings and they are a nice matte finish. They are a little more trouble for some to put on, but they can be as low as you like and have very clean lines. I just don't like the look of all the screws everywhere.

If not Conetrol, I go with either standard Leupold or weaver bases with Tasco weaver style rings. I do have a set of QD Talley's that work fine as well.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
on my m70's i use 2 piece... either weaver bases/rings or redfield/redfield style... i'm kinda cheap...and i loctite everything....i had some 1 piece redfield bases, and they came loose...'course they were on my .375..... my .416 rem mag is still tight and on after 80 rounds of 400 gr barnes solids...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friar,
Im fan of m70 low ring setups.
Here are Leup.DD SuperLow(saM70)
Height from receiver to tube is 6.82mm with still good clearance on bolt handle(Leup.2.5-8x36).
However this set up will NOT work on LAm70 cause the scope tube is too short by 2mm?. but 6x36 or 1.75-6x32 would be fine with their longer tubes.
Working on integral ring/base setup(dont hold your breathe) that will reduce 6.82mm gap to about 5.5mm or less.
Just imagine the tube sitting flush with base or a little lower. To give you an idea, the front base you see has 5.55mm height.
I think you will struggle to find a lower factory ring setup than DDsuperlow.(Conetrol low ring&base is 7.13mm)
Maybe some can measure their TalleyLW to compare.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Talley's. Use the lightweights if you won't be changing scopes. Use the QR's if you might want to swap scopes or if you are shooting a boomer. Both work great, I've had quite a few sets on Model 70's. They even make different height rear bases if your M-70 reciever is on the far end of specs.........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

Woodjack--that must be a short action in the photo, yes?

I'd like to get my VX-II (2x7) down a bit lower. Right now I've got a Redfield 1 piece base and Leupold low rings. But I need to come down about 1/8" more.

Has anyone ever used S & K?

Again, thanks for everyone's time--I appreciate it! thumb

friar

p.s. It will be a dedicated scope. Are the Tally lightweights the ones where the base & ring are one integral unit?

Thanks

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is Short action.
Your current low rings are .650" height. (according to leupold) Superlows are .550"(which is measured from top of base to centre of ring/scope)
difference, .10"/2.54mm which is close to the 1/8"(3.17mm) reduction in height your looking for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once you go Conetrol, you won't go back.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by friarmeier:

p.s. It will be a dedicated scope. Are the Tally lightweights the ones where the base & ring are one integral unit?

Thanks

The lightweights are the base and lower ring are 1pc. The top of the ring completes the unit. They manufacture them for Melvin Forbes, they are the rings he uses on all of his ultra-lightweight rifles. They are extemely strong, they have stood up to the recoil of 6lb 375 H&H's for example.
The Lightweights also have the advantage of being a bargain! IIRC retail on them is only about $35, you could probably get a set shipped to you for less than that.
I've used all of the rings mentioned in this thread includeing Conetrol, Leupold, S&K etc.. Unless you need a high gloss or something to match a specific finish, I think Talley's are far the best.......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
If you don't need quick release capability, the S&K rings/bases are nice. I have used the Talley lightweights and they work well also, but they are not as low as the S&K setup.

S&K rings on a LA M70, mounting a 2.5-8 Leupold

Close-up

The front base is an extended base, which overhangs the ejection port just a titch. It does help to get the proper eye relief on the shorter-bodied scopes.

Wayne E.

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Woodjack, what bases are under those super-lows?

If I've done my arithmetic correctly (remember, I'm a friar, not a physicist!), then the S & K "lowest" rings put the bottom of the scope approximately .385" above the highest point of the receiver, or 9.78 mm. Right?

Does anyone know the distance from top of receiver to bottom of scope on the Talley lightweights? Or the Conetrols--check that, just noticed Woodjack's note that the Conetrols come out at 7.13 mm.

After all this, it might be easiest just to switch my rings over to the Leupold super-lows and be done with it!

Again, I can't say "thanks" too much.

friar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bases on SAm70 are Leupold factory fluted type.
superlow rings are available in STD.,DD and QR version.
Glad I could help.
If you consider Conetrol,heres
how your M70/2-7x could look.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Guess I am way in the minority but I prefer Buehler bases and rings for most rifles.

If a quick detachable setup is preferred I like Leupold a bit better than Warne with Talleys being at the top of the heap.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote