New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil Pad Fitting ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am fitting a recoil pad to one of my projects and am having an issue. I was hoping that you guys could help with.

I cut the stock blank down on the radial arm saw after I built a jig to hold it. I then smoothed it down with a sanding block and some 220 grit paper to make sure the surface was flat. I drilled the holes for the screws then counter bored them to make sure that the wood screw going into the stock would not create a high spot. I then lightly sanded the plastic backing of the pad to remove any burs and high spots.

But I am still having a problem with a gap on one side of the pad? Is this normal? Do people usually screw and glue pads on?

I am attempting to attach a picture to show you what I am talking about.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glue it, screw it and then wrap some surgical tubing to pull it into the butt.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad

Years ago I encountered the same problem and was determined to find out why. Either the pad base is not truly flat or the stock. A sanding block does not get things truly flat. I cured my problems by placing an 80 grit sheet of sand paper on a machined flat surface. I have a band saw with a big table that I use. Then sand the pad and end of the butt stock truly flat. I usually sand the butt stock from heel to toe direction. Takes a bit of practice. There is an added benefit that you can stand the butt on the surface and tell if the cut is truly perpindicular to the center line of the stock.

I agree with Jim that gluing will work too. I was installing a lot of pads on shotguns in those days and most of them had to be removable.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some sandpaper taped to the table saw table did the trick. I may end up glueing the pad on but for now it fits just fine with the screws.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote