New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Price, Riflemaker
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know of Mr. Ray Price, Custom Gunmaker. A friend of mine has one of his rifles and is looking to sell it. It is a very well done Pre 64 270 Win. Looks like a English Walnut stock with well executed checkering.

I just found out today that he lived in Wenatchee, Washington. I also heard that he has passed away.

Chick Worthing, did you know, or know of him? I was wondering what his rifles are worth, at least a ball park figure.

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
were any of his guns ever featured in the custom gun section of gun digest ,sometimes it is a good way to track down a not well known gunsmith post a pic of the gun the style could tell about when the gun was built and the quality .......paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic knew him very well and for a number of years, Wenatchee is a small town. He will chime in here soon I am sure.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoot,
I knew him very well. He did more for my stockmaking skills than anyone else or in fact everyone else put together. He passed away, 4 years ago this last August 30th.

I never was in the postion to buy one of his stocks while he was alive but about a year ago the opportunity came up and I was able to get one thru a contact with one of of our AR members. I paid $1800 for it and consider it a bargain.

It is hard to set a price on custom work. The well known makers work certainly brings a higher price but Ray's work was in the same category as any of the well known gunmakers and stockbuilders. It is difficult to make a judgement on a rifle without seeing it. I am assuming you are interested in buying it. Send me some photos by email if you wish.

This is the one I bought and it is also in .270.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

Thanks for answering my question. I don't pretend to know of all the fine gunmakers in the country, but I never heard of Ray Price, Gunmaker. I heard of Ray Price the country-western singer.

I knew when I looked at the rifle, that it was made by a very skilled craftsman. He not only stocked the rifle, but I assume that he did the metal work as well because his name is ingraved on the barrel. The more I looked at it, the more I had to have it so I bought it. My friend is a retired Border Patrol Officer who now lives in Tubac, Arizona. His name is "Coop" and he knew Ray Price when he was in Bisbee, Arizona. Coop had an assignment on the northern border in Montana. He would go over an visit Ray Price from time to time as they were very close. You have probably met Coop while he was in Wenatche. I talked with Coop yesterday morning when I bought the rifle and he and Ray were very good friends. Coop told me that he went up to see Ray and he was essentially on his death bed. Ray simply gave Coop the rifle as Ray wanted him to have the rifle. Coop is in need of a knee replacement and he is getting up in age and does not hunt anymore. He has been liquidating his gun collection for some time now and I have bought a few guns from him. Coop told me that his children have no interest in guns and they would fight over selling his gun collection so he wanted me to have it and from what you have said, he offered it at a real bargan price.

Chic, I am the most computer challenged person in the country. I do not know how to post pictures. Hell, I just got back from Tanzania and I can't post pictures of my hunt. I got to get down to our community college and take some courses. What I would do is take some pictures and send them to you hardcopy if you like. If you care to send me a personal address through the private message setup, I will send you some pictures. You may have seen the rifle, as Coop tells me that it was Ray Price's personal rifle on an older post war M-70 Win. Again my thanks.

HOOT

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoot,
I do think I met him at Ray's home. I was there almost every day near the end. I am sure I know the rifle too. Ray did do the metalwork on his rifles. He built bottom metal from scratch and could build anything that you needed on a rifle.

Ray was very generous with his work. I have almost a whole set of chisels that he made, using tool steel and english walnut for the handles. I would show up at his shop and it there would be one all shiny and new and it would be a Christmas or a birthday present.

Do you have a digital camera or a standard film camera? My mailing address is on my web site and you can get to it by clicking the link below my name.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Chic...one beautiful rifle! What type of wood is the stock and what kind of finish? How is the metal finished. Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron, it is English walnut with a BenMatte Finish (made by Dalys paints in seattle wa)

Chic Worthing

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic - That's a wonderful rifle and an even better story. Thanks for sharing them.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

I have both kinds of cameras. As of late, I have been using the digital and taking the chip down to town and getting prints made. Wish I could just download the chip into my computer and send the pictures off, but I can't do it now. Like I said, I need to take some classes or have someone who knows how show me how to do it.

Looking at your rifle, mine is a little lighter wood and the same checkering. My barrel appears to be 22 inches. Its one beautiful rifle.

As soon as I can, I will mail off the pictures on a CD and then you can download them and post them if you like.

Thanks,
Hoot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoot, give me a call some evening. 509 663 8148. I am skeet shooting tonight until about 7 PDT. I could talk you through downloading them on your computer. Most cameras come with a dics with the programs to do it simply. Not real tough. And if you can email, you can attach a photo to the email. Would be good to talk to another Price rifle owner, we are a rare but priveledged breed.

Chic Worthing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
although im not into model 70s and sightless guns ,it is high quality work ,
the checkering pattern looks like hoffman pre war ,horn tip is done classic style a real nice way to make a mod70 look good. a gun of this type quality should bring no less than 2000$ if kimber or dakota can get 25-3500 for there guns something like this becomes a real option at that point is is still just worth 2k this gun pictured would be about 6500$ to build from any decent gunsmith....paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Hoot, give me a call some evening. 509 663 8148. I am skeet shooting tonight until about 7 PDT. I could talk you through downloading them on your computer. Most cameras come with a dics with the programs to do it simply. Not real tough. And if you can email, you can attach a photo to the email. Would be good to talk to another Price rifle owner, we are a rare but priveledged breed.

Chic,

Sorry that I have not gotten back to you. Been ot of town for a few days. I really would like talking to you some evening. I will try to call you some evening this week.

I will try to get the photos taken and get them to you.

Gracias,
HOOT