THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Mauser: when you dry fire, the bolt moves. Why? Wiebe 1909 M98

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser: when you dry fire, the bolt moves. Why? Wiebe 1909 M98
 Login/Join

<slancey>
posted
Yesterday at my local gun shop I picked up a 1909 Argentine custom mauser built by Duane Wiebe. I just had to play with it, aim it, dry fire it.
For the first time in my life, I watched a Mauser firing pin fall on an empty chamber and the bolt didn't move. Not even wiggle. Not the cocking piece (after it moved forward of course), not the bolt body or the handle, not the shroud. Nothing. I mean it was dead stable. I've always seen the bolt move when dry firing Mausers, Springfields, Enfields, even Winchesters. But this one was perfect.
So how do you make that happen? Does a rifle with a bolt that moves after the firing pin falls have poorer accuracy?
I just can't get that thing out of my head. Somebody help me before I go and blow 11 large on a gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you care to, please e-mail me at cgrs@earthlink.net.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the bottom of the cocking piece and imagine the things that might cause twist as it moves forward.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
More often than not the bolt is not correctly aligned with the firing pin so the camming surface on the firing pin strikes the bolt body causing the bolt to torque. A poorly fitted bolt handle often is the source of bolt movement on firing. I'm confident you'll never seen anything like that on a rifle built by Mr. Wiebe.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toomanytools...well, thanks for the vote of confidence....never? Oh I dunno!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
More often than not the bolt is not correctly aligned with the firing pin so the camming surface on the firing pin strikes the bolt body causing the bolt to torque. A poorly fitted bolt handle often is the source of bolt movement on firing. I'm confident you'll never seen anything like that on a rifle built by Mr. Wiebe.

Exactly.

As it was explained to me when I was young (and God was still trying to find time to design dirt Wink the inside of a Mauser bolt is engineered so that it cannot fire if the bolt is not completely closed. That was done by putting shoulders on the firing pin and cams on the inside of the bolt. Thus, if the bolt is turned almost but not quite completely closed, the firing pin shoulders will strike the cams and close it the rest of the way before striking the cartridge primer.

Likewise, if through tolerances or poor workmanship (or whatever), the bolt is rotated too far closed prior to firing, then the firing pin will very slightly open the bolt before hitting the cartridge primer.

Either way, the bolt lugs end up where they are intended to be before the cartridge goes "boom".

It may not be correct, but that's the way I've always heard it.

Sounds as if you came upon one where the "tolerance stack"in manufacture puts it in perfect position and alignment when the bolt is closed.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I am no gunsmith but if you ask me, the cocking piece or sear is spring loaded against the trigger, ie the thing that releases the firing pin, this bears ultimately on the bolt, which can be canted and this is why when people convert say a remmy 700 action for bench rest they sleeve the action, this takes the play out between the bolt and the action. so that when the firing pin drops there is no cant or movement in the bolt at the moment of firing that could be a detriment to accuracy. I may be blowing hot air but that is the best answer I can think of

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
The slop in the rear bridge causes the rear of bolt to drop when the trigger is pulled causing the bolt handle that is closed all the way to lift up a slight amount. If the rear bridge has been welded on then it has shrunk a little minimizing this bolt handle pop. If the handle isn't inlet all the way after customizing then the nose of the cocking piece can contact the helix in the bolt body keeping this from popping up. Usually the handles are inlet until the safety will engage. Another brain teaser is thinking about the direction the main spring is wound. Would it make a difference??? bewildered

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted :
I am no gunsmith but if you ask me, the cocking piece or sear is spring loaded against the trigger, ie the thing that releases the firing pin, this bears ultimately on the bolt, which can be canted and this is why when people convert say a remmy 700 action for bench rest they sleeve the action, this takes the play out between the bolt and the action. so that when the firing pin drops there is no cant or movement in the bolt at the moment of firing that could be a detriment to accuracy. I may be blowing hot air but that is the best answer I can think of

Not quite. First of all, Remington triggers and Mauser triggers work in quite different ways.

Remington triggers are basically over-ride triggers. That is, the cocking piece in a Remington bolt pushes down on the sear portion of the trigger assembly. The sear is propped up by a lever so that the cocking piece can't push it down and there isn't enough room for the cocking piece to slide over it and forward. In trying to push the sear down, it does push the cocking-piece (and the back of the bolt) up slightly. The amount depends on the clearance between the bolt exterior and the inside of the action. Pulling the trigger moves the various trigger levers, which removes the prop from under the sear. Then the sear can be pushed down (over-ridden) by the cocking piece, allowing the cocking piece and the firing pin to go forward.

The Mauser, on the other hand, comes with a trigger/sear assembly where the top of the trigger rides on the bottom of the action, not the bolt or the cocking piece. The "bumps" on he top of a Mauser trigger ride on the bottom of the action, not the bolt. The vertical front of the cocking piece is "caught" by the vertical back of the sear. The top of the sear need not touch the bottom of the bolt at all. The trigger, when pulled, acts as a lever which pulls the sear down out of the way of the cocking piece. If the sear is very slightly off vertical towards the rear, it would actually act as a hook and pull the cocking piece very slightly downward as it was being moved down and eventually out of the way of the cocking piece.

Anyhow, for those who want to see a full explanation of what is happening with the Mauser or Springfield type firing pin, and why letting it go forward acts to slightly close or open an action, I suggest turning to Page 44 of "The Mauser Bolt Actions - A Shop Manual" by Jerry Kuhnhausen, available through Brownells and other sources. It explains that the firing pin only lines up perfectly with the inside of the bolt if the bolt is rotated 90 degrees on closure. If the bolt is rotated 85.5 degrees or more, but not a full 90 degrees, the firing pin will close it the rest of the way when it hits the bolt some .010" to .020" before the tip of the firing pin protrudes ANY distance out of the firing pin hole in the bolt face. It will also open the bolt just a hair, to the proper 90 degrees, if it is over-rotated to somewhere between 90 degrees and 94.5 degrees on manual closure.

Best wishes all.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I wish I spoke gunsmith.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So it looks like we now know why it does it but now the question is does it really matter? Any adverse side affects?

til later

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 6 Winchester Classic Model 70 Rifles. On every single one of them the bolt jumps up when it is fired. And I have looked at countless other Model 70 Classics that do the same thing. I wonder if Winchester made them that way on purpose?

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EP:
So it looks like we now know why it does it but now the question is does it really matter? Any adverse side affects?

til later

Having the bolt handle move slightly up or down when you "drop the hammer" only matters when you are shooting for scores and money. Having one that doesn't move on a custom built gun is a testament to ones skill and attention to detail.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I have 6 Winchester Classic Model 70 Rifles. On every single one of them the bolt jumps up when it is fired. And I have looked at countless other Model 70 Classics that do the same thing. I wonder if Winchester made them that way on purpose?

I would guess that Winchester did make them that way on purpose. If I was manufacturing Model 70-type firearms, I certainly would.

First off, let's stipulate that no company making lots of rifles daily is going to make them all perfectly. They will have deviations from perfection as a daily part of life. Acceptably small deviations are what we call acceptable "tolerances".

So, if you are going to have variations from perfection with a bolt holding in a fragile brass vessel which prevents the flow back of 50,000+ p.s.i. of hot gas, powder fragments, and tiny bits of brass, you would probably want to make sure that the bolt always closed a little too far rather than not quite enough. So, probably, did Winchester.

If you over-rotate the bolt closed (close it a little too far), and then the firing pin moves it back to nearly perfect alignment when the pin falls, the bolt handle will jump up. That's because for the bolt to over-rotate closed any at all, the root of the bolt handle has to end up just a hair too far "down" when the bolt is closed by your (or anyone's) hand.

That way too, it IS very safely closed pretty much whenever one shuts the bolt, even if some dirt got in there and kept it from over-rotating.

It's a good compromise. As WestPac so correctly noted, for war or hunting, or even High Power competition, the "jump" either up or down won't materially hurt acuracy for most shooters. And it may contribute to shooter safety if a little over-rotation occurs as a matter of course.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen this happen on many, many bolt guns.
The firing pin drops and goes whack. There is a vibration of the spring and firing pin assembly. If the bolt is closed against the handle the only way for it to move in response to the vibrational energy is to move the handle up.
Check a Lee-Enfield. It has none of the internal shoulders. It is a cock on closing action. When the firing pin slams down there are no cams in contact. The impact vibration just causes the handle to jump up....because it can't go down.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I wish I spoke gunsmith.

I know what you you mean! Best I can tell, the thingy that holds the firing pin has to be in perfect alignment with the other thingy and the firing pin has thingies on it that jolt the bolt if it isn't lined up perfect with the aforementioned firing pin thingies. Right?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
I'm with EP.
It appears we've uncovered another one of the many ingenious safety features of the Mauser-based actions.
Now, does it cause problems with accuracy, bolt or action wear, case life, etc.?
My guess is that it would be pretty hard to substantiate anyway.
With regard to making the condition go away, I've just learned in a private message from the gunsmith who made the very rifle over which I was marveling that it can be remedied. In other words, very talented guys can make the bolt not move when the hammer falls.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You remove bolt bounce by adding material to, or removing material from the bottom of the bolt handle where it contacts the receiver. Essentially you are carefully aligning the cocking notch with the "groove" so as to pevent the handle from moving when the cocking piece falls. It's actually a fairly simple procedure in practice, but an often over looked bit of detail when fitting a new bolt handle to a receiver.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It just took 5 layers of electrical tape stuck to the underside of the bolt on my Mod24b Mauser to stop any bolt movement up or down. Not a whole lot of movement to begin with.

til later

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
tiggertate , I couldn't have said it better myself! Big Grin That was funny!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Usually this is a problem that does not exist.
We look at it dryfire and worry and scratch our heads.
Insert an empty case, pull the trigger.
This usually gives worried shooters rest and peace.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Tigger,

I have found when my bolt is completed inserted into a thingy and someone trips my trigger, that there is usually a lot of twitching and movement of the bolt going on.

It has never been a problem. As a matter of fact it seems to be quite enjoyable and a condition that I try to repeat often.

Also since, I had the magazine "cut-off" permanently installed it really doesn't matter how accurate I am; I will never score an XX or for that matter an XY again as my gun is now only capable of dry firing.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote